• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

My Ruby has given birth 4weeks after the last pregnacy

v2002brown

New Kit
Im in abit of shock to say the least, my poor bunnie has given birth exactly 4 weeks after the last birth. I I know know this must have happen the night she gave birth coz that was the only time shes been near the buck since matting. I have put the 4 week old bunnies away from her to give her chance with the new borns is this ok? i know its very soon as this wasnt suppose to happen i have been very carefull with my bunnies. The 4week olds are eating and drinking very well and going to toilet advise needed please any one can you help!

Hi,

I'm speechless

You could not have been that careful:(:(:(

I hope you can find homes for them all and prevent this happening again. I have had bunnies for 10 years and have never had an ACCIDENT.

Good Luck with the rehoming

When was the buck removed ?
She has obviously given birth then been mated again with the buck.

Sorry this is what happens when male and females are put together ;)

Hopefully someone experienced with litters will come and give you some advice.

What are you feeding the 4 week old?

This happens quite often as people don't realize that they can mate immediately following giving birth.

Being as you will have to remove them for the safety of the new babies, I think they will have to manage. Not a good start in life for all concerned really is it.

Have you now removed the buck?

I'm sure people with more advice will be along soon to give you some advice but I would hope that as soon as possible you could get your bunnies neutered to avoid any further litters.

Yes the babies will have to be removed to allow mum to nurse the new litter. Make sure you are providing her with plenty of fresh greens and a high calorie food such as Burgess excel Junior and Dwarf ad lib.

You may have already done so, but I would book your buck in to be neutered asap so that after mum has weaned the new babies and had a rest she can be bonded back with him.

Im in abit of shock to say the least, my poor bunnie has given birth exactly 4 weeks after the last birth. I I know know this must have happen the night she gave birth coz that was the only time shes been near the buck since matting. I have put the 4 week old bunnies away from her to give her chance with the new borns is this ok? i know its very soon as this wasnt suppose to happen i have been very carefull with my bunnies. The 4week olds are eating and drinking very well and going to toilet advise needed please any one can you help!

Hello

I would make sure the 4 week old kits remain on a good hay based diet. Dont make any dietary changes at all until they are at least 10 weeks of age.
Adding a probiotic to their drinking water will help support their guts as at 4 weeks they wont have established a good balance of gut flora and as a result are at high risk of enteritis. So it is very important to be scrupulous with husbandry, cleaning them out daily and not leaving any soiled feed down. Minimising stress for them is essential too, stress increases the chance of gut problems.

If the Doe is used to dark leafy greens then feeding those will boost her milk production. She will need optimum nutrition to feed another litter. A probiotic would be of benefit for her too.

Janex

We could use a little less of the sarcasm and plain right nasty comments here. This person wants advice on how to care for these rabbits, being nasty won't help anyone. They are more likely to pick up on the advice if you present it in a less aggresive manner, rather than being insulted and never coming back here again.

We could use a little less of the sarcasm and plain right nasty comments here. This person wants advice on how to care for these rabbits, being nasty won't help anyone. They are more likely to pick up on the advice if you present it in a less aggresive manner, rather than being insulted and never coming back here again.

I agree with you
the person has obviously made a big mistake but telling them they are irresponsible isn't going to help them or the rabbits at least they are trying to do the right thing now. Great post Jane :wave:
Sallyx

Hi,

I'm speechless

You could not have been that careful:(:(:(

I hope you can find homes for them all and prevent this happening again. I have had bunnies for 10 years and have never had an ACCIDENT.

Good Luck with the rehoming

Not a terribly constructive post................

Lisen all you's out there wanting to shout at me im a responsable rabbit owner i love all my bunnies and would do anything to help them. You sound like your perfect never made mistakes well take a look at your lifes im sure you have! if you work the dates out you would relise it happen the night her kits were born first litter born 5th june second litter 5th July! we didnt know she was pregnant so! As soon as her 1st litter were born my buck was removed straight way! and been kept way. Im after getting some help but if you want to critase dont bother. Thank you all those who are being kind and just offering the advise i so need and all my bunnies will get a safe loving home found all vacinated and insured.

Hello there, thanks for your concern very kind of you. Mum is doing very well such a great job i have removed the 1st kits and she is looking after the new ones very well. Im giving her vitamins and lots of greens and plenty of food the 1st kits are very strong and alert they are on there nuggets and drinking lots which is nice and very happy.

Please keep us updated. ignore some people on here they seem to have nothing better to do than have a go at others and of course they have never made a mistake in there lifes have they

Glad they are all doing well. Keep us updated and let us know if you need any further advice.

Pleased to hear they are all progressing. Well done for posting asking for help and also for returning despite some earlier unhelpful comments.:( Do stick around, there are some really helpful and experienced bunny owners on RU (as you will already have seen, thanks Jane and others :wave:) - we all learn from our mistakes and it sounds as if you are now doing everything to resolve yours :).

Keep us posted and hope all goes well with mum and new babies in due course.

Back