• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

We have worms!

Mackers

Wise Old Thumper
Worming discussion again I'm afraid! Recently wormed my two girls for 9 days as I'd seen worms in their poo. Unfortunately, they are re-infecting themselves as they're are housed in an 8x6 shed attached to an aviary style 25ft x 7ft run (on grass). It's impossible to clear every poo (and resulting worm egg) from a 'natural' style enclosure. They also have lots of free time in the garden and are clearly dropping worm infested poo everywhere they go. Chatted to my vet about it who suggested a regular worming routine of every 3 months. She said the worms wouldn't cause a problem but that I should take care to keep the infestation under control so that they didn't become a burden on the gut.

I've already used Panacur paste and Lapizole so have been weighing up the pros and cons of Xeno 450 and Panacur liquid 10%. Although from an owners point of view Xeno 450 would be the easiest option, I decided to go for the Panacur liquid based purely on cost and volume of medicine to administer. For a known worm infestation, Xeno 450 states you should treat once, then again at two weeks and then again at four weeks - three treatments in total. Bearing in mind I'm treating for worms I know they have, rather than a preventative measure, does anyone have any suggestions as to whether I do a regular 9 day treatment or whether I should do something different?

Actually I would do a 28 day course of panacur to try and prevent re-occurance of infestation. I don't think nine days is enough...I learnt that from one of my bunnies who seems to be susceptible. She had them as a kit when I first got her, then again three months later and I suspect the weren't killed off with the original nine day course of panacur. I hate the little blighters!

Well that's what I was thinking but then I don't know how long the eggs can live for in the ground. I could do 28 days only for them to be immediately reinfected once I stop treatment. Anyone know?

I'm no expert but I'd be inclined to agree with your vet, just do a prevantative course every so often.

The other option would be to slab your enclosure, that way you can clean it thoroughly.

Yup - I agree I could slab the enclosure but TBH, I like it the way it is. I feel it's a very natural environment and whilst they get out in the garden every day in summer, they spend most of their time in the run in the winter as it's dark when I go to work and dark when I get home. They only get to be on grass at weekends which I don't personally feel is enough. I think that worms is the price I have to pay for this type of enclosure so I'll probably become Panacur's best customer!! The buns seem none the worse for their little wriggly free-loaders - it's just me who thinks they're yuk!

Off topic I know but we have an 8 x 6 shed and I am thinking of having someone build a 20 ft x 6 ft run on hte side with a door and a catflap to the shed/run. Any pictures of yours would be hugely appreciated!! Thanks. Oh, And mine would be slabbed cos I'm afraid of losing him.

No problem - photos coming up! The run kind of 'evolved' over a number of years. When I first kept rabbits, I just built an open and underwired run from one side of the garden to the other and the buns used to go out in the morning and into their hutches at night. However, as time progressed and I learnt a lot more about bunnies, a shed was built into the run and we overwired it as well to make a walk-in enclosure. It's all made with security fencing and it is a complete cube (underwired, overwired etc)- you need bolt-cutters to get through it! We just stapled it directly to the shed and to the fence at the other end. Used those big U-shaped staples that you have to hammer in.

As you can see from the first photo taken from an upstairs window, I then got more bunnies and added a second shed (which is half run, half shed) and then added another small run onto that too. I have had to leave SOME space for the dogs and fortunately, neither me nor my hubby are keen gardeners!

21062008017.jpg

05102007105.jpg

No problem - photos coming up! The run kind of 'evolved' over a number of years. When I first kept rabbits, I just built an open and underwired run from one side of the garden to the other and the buns used to go out in the morning and into their hutches at night. However, as time progressed and I learnt a lot more about bunnies, a shed was built into the run and we overwired it as well to make a walk-in enclosure. It's all made with security fencing and it is a complete cube (underwired, overwired etc)- you need bolt-cutters to get through it! We just stapled it directly to the shed and to the fence at the other end. Used those big U-shaped staples that you have to hammer in.

As you can see from the first photo taken from an upstairs window, I then got more bunnies and added a second shed (which is half run, half shed) and then added another small run onto that too. I have had to leave SOME space for the dogs and fortunately, neither me nor my hubby are keen gardeners!

21062008017.jpg

05102007105.jpg

What a beautiful set up :shock:

Thanks! I like it. Hubby was a bit miffed when I added the second shed but since when have I ever listened to him?! He should think himself lucky I've not added more!!!!

That is exactly what I have in mind! Thanks for sharing. Now, who do I know who is good with wood? :lol: Actually I have a friend who said her hubby is willing to do it for me. I've drawn it out and just need the money now.

Do you know what type of worm? Perhaps the lifecycle/habits would give you a clue. Eg would keeping them inside temporarily while you worm help.

Tam

I'm assuming it's a pin worm as those are the ones that are most common. You can see white strands in their poo, about 5-8mm long and probably about 1mm thick. Unfortunately, after trawling the net, I've found information that says eggs can live for several months so I don't think bringing them indoors is an option. I think I'll just have to opt for a regular worming regime, once every three months although I may start with a 6 week course initially to see if we can eradicate the little blighters.

Back