• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Foxes!!!

Amour_x_

Young Bun
Right I have a gorgeous rabbit, Honey. & she lives with my cousins rabbit, Lola over at my cousins house....

However my cousin just got told off a neighbour that she has been watching loads of foxes around the area jumping over the fences & thought she should tell us because we have rabbits & she knows someone that had their rabbits attacked by foxes.

I'm quite scared as I do not want anything to happen to the rabbits.

Is there anything I can do to repel the foxes or how to keep Honey & Lola safer?

Thanks in advance...

Welcome to RU :wave:

there is not a huge amount you can do to put off foxes in your garden. However you can help protect your buns from them.

Do not allow them to have time out free in the garden without you being present .
Ensure that your hutch is strong with a high grade mesh and not cheap chicken wire.

Ensure that your hutch has bolts as closures and not the turn catches many have.

Ensure that you cover the hutch up at night to protect your rabbits from unnecessary stress if they start looking into the hutch

If the run is on grass ensure that they are not left out unsupervised as if rabbits can dig out a fox can also dig in.

If your rabbit is a house rabbit secure your house as foxes do enter houses through open doors, windows and even through cat flaps.

Keep safe

Hello welcome to RU. Sorry to hear there are foxes in your area. Make sure the hutch is secure as possible and don't leave the bunny in a run over night as foxes can dig under the run. Covering the hutch at night should help as well. Another option is bringing the hutch into a shed if you have one at night.

OMG through windows too :shock: i never knew this will shut them then at night.I left a few windows open so she wouldnt get to warm.
thanks for telling us.

OMG through windows too :shock: i never knew this will shut them then at night.I left a few windows open so she wouldnt get to warm.
thanks for telling us.

I know donna-arc had a fox lying on the dogs bed in her old house under the stairs. Jack's Jane lost a rabbit from a fox who came into her house :cry: These are unusual but you need to be aware of them.

To protect your buns but allow fresh air, you could make(/have made) some wire-covered wooden frames that fit inside your windows - I did this for my old bedroom, not so much foxes as it was on the 1st floor, but I had wild rats climb the ivy on the house to get in. Also there's the slight risk of a bun getting out through an open window too if they're not caged in. Mine was an old sash window though so you may have to improvise with newer windows, e.g. a bolt which slides across the wooden frame to hold in in place or something

Back