• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding put on hold

milly100

Alpha Buck
Hi, Today was the day that I was going to put my 2 bunnies together in their new hutch/run combo. So we got up early this morning and got ity all sorted and popped the 2 of them into it. But it didnt go well at all. Blackie just woulnt stop humping poor flopsey. Hes been neutered and they have been together running round inside and he wasnt interested at all. But now hes decided that he is interested again. So ive seperated them for the moment and im going to have to wait till he calms down more and flopsey was not impressed!!! So for the moment Flopsey will carry on living inside and going out to the spare run in the day and Blackie will live in the new hutch as he absolutely loves it outside and hates being in the house. Im just hoping that I dont end up with 2 singal bunnies.

I am sorry that you have felt it necessary to separate the rabbits you were to start bonding today, from the behaviour you have described this is perfectly normal behaviour to expect and does not require them to be separated. Humping, nipping, chasing, ignoring is all normal behaviour which does not require any intervention apart from observing from a distance.

Most new introduction will involve the male being rather persistent at some stage and this is something which they need to be left alone to get on with, all they are doing is sorting out who is the dominant bunny. Until they are allowed to sort this out they will not bond properly.

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=55913&highlight=bonding this is an excellent article which many of the experienced rescues use a variation on this. I would certainly recommend this method and bond well over 100 pairs each year using this method.

Back