• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

My Tortoise Squashy + Eggies/Update

Maizey

Wise Old Thumper
100_2791.jpg
100_2788.jpg

Squashy laid me a clutch of eggs on 6th June 08 and I went into the garden on friday 4th July and she had laid another clutch.They are all in the incubator.This is the third year that she has laid eggs but she has only laid one clutch before.I havent had any hatch yet.So fingers crossed for this lot.

Last edited:
Thank you everyone.The eggs can take between 55-120 days to hatch depending on temperature.I did have three tortoises but I had to rehome Timmy because every time he found Squashy he would butt her and break her shell.The last lot of damage was done to the top of her shell which you may be able to see on photo.Timmy was a spur thighed tortoise and Squashy is a hermans tortoise.Ive read that if two different species mate then the eggs will be infertile until the femail uses up the sperm which can take up to five years.I still have Squashys boyfriend.Ive had them for about twelve years now.I bought them both as babies they were about the size of a fifty pence piece.

I am so jealous, I have promised myself in the next few years that I will get myself 2 tortoises. My biggest problem to overcome is that I would prefer to resuce ... the chance of me getting a rescue one I think is probably quite slim :cry:

i almost bought one last year from a garden centre, but when i read up about them the hibernating part to thier care scared me, i just knew id do something wrong so i didnt get one.. they are so beautiful tho :love::love::love:

They are quite hard work especially getting the right food for them.Squashy goes mad for anything with meat in which is a complete no no.Ive found her trying to eat a bone on the lawn which Ive given to the dogs.She used to run up to the dog bowls at feeding time to get their meat.As for hibenating last winter was so mild Timmy and little tort kept waking up I had to put them in the fridge in the end to get them to the right herbination temp.

They are quite hard work especially getting the right food for them.Squashy goes mad for anything with meat in which is a complete no no.Ive found her trying to eat a bone on the lawn which Ive given to the dogs.She used to run up to the dog bowls at feeding time to get their meat.As for hibenating last winter was so mild Timmy and little tort kept waking up I had to put them in the fridge in the end to get them to the right herbination temp.

Yep I had very similar problems with hibernation. My 3 woke up very early and I had to have them under the lamps for a a few weeks before they could go back outside. I would love to see your eggs hatch :D as mine never have so far and I was told it was probably because they are different sub species, despite being all spur thighed ( Bertha is an older lady now, so maybe has something to do with it).:D

I think I spoil mine they have lamps inside all summer and they devide their time between the garden and indoors.I had to buy a special UVB lamp for squashy to help her shell heal.

yup id deffo get it wrong.. the rabbits will just have to suffer my useless attempts at being a pet mom instead :lol::lol::lol:

Back