• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Soaked bunnies, poor boys

ZakuraRabbit

Mama Doe
After sunny weather for days, I woke up 7 am this morning by rain outside.
My first thought was: Aw man, rain.
My second thought was: Rufus and Tobi are outside in the plastic cage:shock:
They live in an indoor cage, but I still leave it outside sometimes. The cage has no adequate shelter and the closest it had to a "roof" was the planks I put there for shading, but it doesn't stop the rain.
I had to get up early and found Tobi sitting in his hay rack, the only place else to go rather than on the wet shavings. I got the boys inside and dried them up, then I had to clean out their cage as it was soaked too (and I've seen for myself what wet bedding can do to a rabbit, particularly rex-rabbit's feet)
P1010001-2.jpg

Here are two wet, not very happy boys. Thankfully now they are back in their shed on dry bedding and with a large portion of hay. I just hope they won't catch a cold or something, as I don't know how long they were out, I think I managed to get most of the water of their fur though.

Aww poor bunnies :(

Glad you got them indoors and dried off :D

Hope you remember to bring them in the night before next time ;)

aw bless them i was out this morning too to check on the binky boys as i worry more as they have long fur, i know if they got wet they would look like theyve had a perm :lol: my big's loves the rain the only time he actually likes to stay out, but then he loves a good rub down with a towel after as well soft B****R:roll:

aw bless them i was out this morning too to check on the binky boys as i worry more as they have long fur, i know if they got wet they would look like theyve had a perm :lol: my big's loves the rain the only time he actually likes to stay out, but then he loves a good rub down with a towel after as well soft B****R:roll:

Yeah most of my bunnies stay out in the rain too, but I was most concerned about Tobi and Rufus because there's no roof on their cage and all the bedding was soaked:cry: Had to throw all of it out (lucky it was about time to change the bedding anyway, I tend to do it every third day or more.)
They looked like little sheep when I took them in, but dried of rather quickly. It appeared it was just the outer fur layer that got wet, and it didn't take long before they looked like real rexes again.

mine have outdoor cages two levels its all open down the bottom sheltered on 2 sides with an apple tree in a pot on the other the bottom does get a little water in it and theres the front bit which i have a large peice of wood on the roof bit overlappying the front but in heavy rain water can still get in and if the bun likes the rain they will sit in the wrong place, and my indoor bun if its been nice all day and hes been out he wont sit in the sheltered bit he would rather sit in the rain when hes in his run :roll:

mine have outdoor cages two levels its all open down the bottom sheltered on 2 sides with an apple tree in a pot on the other the bottom does get a little water in it and theres the front bit which i have a large peice of wood on the roof bit overlappying the front but in heavy rain water can still get in and if the bun likes the rain they will sit in the wrong place, and my indoor bun if its been nice all day and hes been out he wont sit in the sheltered bit he would rather sit in the rain when hes in his run :roll:

Most of mine have that too, but I only have 3 hutches (since Dad STILL hasn't made the new cages he promised me LAST YEAR) and I can't keep them with my other rabbits.

I would be wary putting indoor cages outside because I imagine it's very frightening for a bunny to not have somewhere they can seek refuge should they be frightened for any reason..i.e any predators, strange noises, smells etc....

Glad you got them all dried out.

Back