• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit Cruelty

Rachypoo

Young Bun
Hi guys! i really need your advice on this one!

I have just been to my boyfriends parents house and they have two rabbits. Both in seperate cages. They are both rather large rabbits, one being in a cage smaller than an average guinea pig cage and the other in a small rabbit cage. The cage size upset me enough but then i saw one rabbits behind. her bum was so knotted, it looked to be covered in both wee and poo! I found it so hard to leave them but my boyfriend said he would speak to his sister in the morning. It really is a very cruel picture!

Does anyone have any advise on this? I'm thinking take them home or call the RSPCA

I would try to befriend your B/F's parents and offer to help with the Bunnies.
You could start with a clean up of the poor matted one and also make polite suggestions about improving how the Buns are kept and cared for. I used to go in 'all guns blazing' in situations like this but it doesn't work. The people just stop you having any contact and do nothing to improve things for the Buns :cry: So as frustrating ( and upsetting :cry: ) as it is the softly softly approach is the best place to start. It may well be that they would be happy to see the Buns rehomed so by keeping his parents sweet it would make it more likely they'd let you take them.

Try that approach first but if it fails then you need to discuss with your B/F your intention to involve the RSPCA. Obviously involving the RSPCA would have significant implications for you too. I hope a less confrontational approach will work.

Janex :)

You could always say I've noticed the rabbit has got a messy behind would you like me to help clean it up. Not really sure how you would approach the hutch size situation though.

agree with above.... you could give them leaflets too on bunny care it cant be much fun keeping buns as pets this way either(and obviously not nice for the buns) best thing is to speak to them and try and show them (kindly not this is unacceptable... type thing) mayb say ohh i have buns but mine have such a big play area they love it the y are so fun to watch binkying around... do you let yours out? if they say no say could i let them have a little run? they so love teh excersieze...then when get them out or under pretense of a cuddle....say ohhh look at this poor babys bum! i could sort that out if you like... i find they are less sticky underneath when they have lots of hay and less pellets mind you mine love a treat of veg can i give them a little? and show her how to clean buns bot. horrid as it is a lot o fneglect and cruetly is more out of people not knowing how rabbits should be kept rather than delibratly trying to be cruel.... it people can be educated that s the best way forward....else she will likely get bored adn rehome and while this is good for buns if they could just have a good life with her (and your guiding hand of care!) then its 2 l ess buns to rehome and everyone is happy. hope that you manage it it would be extreamly tough for me to see this and keep my cool.

Back