• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Help bedding dilema

rachelsawyer

Warren Scout
Hi peeps
I need help quick, what bedding do you use for an indoor dog crate. I went to the pet shop today and she said to use grass matt, would it not be a bit uncomfy??
i go to get him this afternoon so need ideas asap!!

thanks;);)

I have carpet in my dog crate. In another I have one of the moulded plastic cat beds with a carpet tile covering the bottom. I also put hay in this for Artie and he eats his way through it whilst spending his day curled up in his bed!!

Hi Rachel.

When Mr Monkfish lived in doors he just used to have some mats and carpet tiles, plus his litter trays as normal with newspaper, megazorb and hay.

One thing I would mention is that as Hector is a big bunny and probably quite heavy, if you do decide to have carpet or mats (man made I mean) then keep a close eye on his hocks as Monkfish developed sore hocks from being on carpet.

I think that a natural matting would be good, provided it's not chewed (if it is held together by cotton or similar thread then it could prove a problem with his tummy).

I also use towels and old bath mats in my sheds and hutches if the bunnies aren't chewers. It means they are soft underfoot and can easily be washed.

Helen

I always use hay and newspaper (with a babies travel changing mat) underneath when the bunnies are in the crate. The hay isn't too messy really and it's nice a soft.

I have newspaper on the bottom,a corner litter tray for giants from pets at home with woodshavings in and also a smaller litter tray on the other side of the crate with newspaper and shavings.It is not ideal,I am still working out what is best,we had vet bed in the bottom but he dug it up and tried to eat it.What has Hector got at the moment?I might get that horse bedding that someone has mentioned on here,see how you go in the first week,try different things,thats what I am doing,enjoy him and dont forget pics ;)

Ours have an animal print towel down at mo, they seem to love it! And of course their litter tray with hemp bedding/shavings and hay in x

newspaper vet bed and i used the soft shredded vegetable parchment bedding(69p a bag in wilko) as it doesnt make as much mess as hay/straw and is soft too also they wont hurt themselves if eat it as its made from vegatable parchment. it is only a small bag tho so 2 will be needed to cover a dog crate and if they wee on it it will need replacing regularly.

Back