• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rabbits under anesethic

Kath1234

Young Bun
I know you have probably had a thread about this but cant find it.

I am really worried as my barney who is 11 weeks old needs to be neutured and i am reading so many sad stories that rabbits are dying when they go under.

When i phoned the vet the receptionist even said the words "high risk" on the phone to me.

Do you think it is definitely worth having them neutured?

thanks
Kath xx

Rabbits that die under anaesthetic are more often the ones that are having some kind of emergency surgery and already have some healthy issues to deal with.

With a good rabbit savvy vet the risks of a healthy rabbit dying under anaesthetic are very minimal. Neutering is definitely worth having done. I think vets say 'risk' just to make you absolutely aware of the possibilities. I would say 'high risk' is putting it too strongly. Rabbits always have a health check on the day they go in for neutering. I'm not sure of all the technicalities but my vet, when I discussed having Esme neutered, said there is one respiratory related issue that they cannot know before the op and that is the only risk with an otherwise healthy rabbit.

Certainly discuss it in more detail with people here/your vet to be absolutely sure but neutering is definitely worth the very minimal risk you would be taking, in my opinion.

Whilst you can't ignore that there is a small risk a young healthy bun will be fine. Usually if a rabbit dies it is because there was some underlying problem like a heart condition.

It is very worrying but loads of us have had rabbits go through a GA just fine. :) I'm sure your bun wil be ok. x

Anaesthetics have come a long way and there is much less risk now than their used to be. I work in a vet practice, and can honestly say we have a very low fatality rate, and these normally happen when there is an underlying problem. VERY rare for us to lose a young, fit and healthy bun under a routine GA.

As others have said, anaesthetics are a lot safer then they used to be and if you go to a vets that knows a lot about small animals, then the risks are lower still.

I was really worried when I took a rescue guinea pig to be neutered (I've had both bunnies done and Inky's been knocked out a couple of times for x rays) because he was so little. However, he was fine and is now running around with 4 piggie girlfriends!

I know you have probably had a thread about this but cant find it.

I am really worried as my barney who is 11 weeks old needs to be neutured and i am reading so many sad stories that rabbits are dying when they go under.

When i phoned the vet the receptionist even said the words "high risk" on the phone to me.

Do you think it is definitely worth having them neutured?

thanks
Kath xx

Hiya

I think its definately worth having them neutered, all my buns are done (apart from my baby whos not old enough yet) all the fosters we've had have been done and i have never had a problem. Also my little boy has other problems and he went under 4 times in 6 months and is absolutely fine. The only one who came off badly from anaesthetic was ME!!

i was just as worried earlier this week took me 4 years to get my bun done, but all was fine, its the same with any op really there is always a very small risk, if i had a doe i would deffinatly get them done as it could work out more expensive later on if she gets cancer, which is fairly common in doe's, my 2 came out fine both reacted a little differantly and im still getting the dissaproving buny look from mine:lol:but it can also help prolong there life too, butthey are happy now

Back