• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

guinea pigs questions

gemmam

Alpha Buck
Hi, I am sorry to be asking another guinea pig question on a rabbit forum! Not sure if it is seen as ok here or if people prefer it just to be about rabbits. On that note, does anyone know any good guinea pig forums? I have browsed a few but none seem as informative as here!

I was wondering, for people who have piggies, what sort of accommodation do you have them in? I have just adopted a group of three from a rescue and at the moment they are living in a Thistle Hall hutch that one of my rabbits previously had. The hutch is getting a bit past its best though so I'm looking to get them a new home sometime soon but wondering what is best? I have a separate run so don;t really need a hutch/run combo. Does anyone have a triple level hutch?

i have 5 boars in a 6ft happy hutch and 4 boars in another 6ft happy hutch and they love it i thought about a double hutch with ramp but i wasnt sure if mine would like it so i stuck with the one level version lol

I prefer keeping mine on one level as they do squabble and chase about - I'd hate for one to fall downstairs. A threesome needs a minimum of 2x5 hutch or cage/enclosure - mine are in a happy hutch 2x5 on long legs - much easier to get them out of at that height, although you do have to be careful they don't fall out - they are barmy :shock:

I have 7 in a Thisle Hall with attached run....havent measured the run but its big enough..

Oh they are indoors and have their own room!

Thank you! I want something as big as possible for them but don't have a lot more space where the current hutch is. Think I could probably get a 5 foot either double or triple in there, but a double would probably be plenty big enough wouldn't it? Although you never know, I may decide to add to the group eventually so the more space the better! Can't find many 5' ones that are 5 x 2 x 2 though so have e-mailed a couple of places for prices that make them to order. With the potential for falling down the ramp, I think I'll be able to put up a piece of plywood or something along the gap to minimise the risk.

Lucky piggies having their own room Jelly-Belly! I love the idea of a bigger group but need to get mine settled in well first as they have had a bad time and are very timid still.

I have a playhouse for my 4 girlies it is 5 ft x 4ft they have a run attached that is 5ft by 5ft they have 24 access to this, my two boys live in a 4ft by two ft hutch with a run of 4ft x 4ft permanent access, They are put out every day (weather permitted) in the garden run that is 6ft x 3ft.:D

When I had piggies, I had them in two pens of about 4x3 (1 piggie in each, long story) either in the shed or the greenhouse depending on weather. The pens were easy to make out of weld mesh and untreated roofing battens and very easy to clean!

Back