• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Sad news.. and a question.

*Spider*

Wise Old Thumper
Ghost went for her check up and the vet said that she's under half the body weight of what she should be. This really upset me and although she's happy it still made me think of how someone could have starved her and kept her insuch horrid conditions and how her brother died :cry:
She said that she's looking so bright and happy and she's got a lovely temperment even though she's had a horrific past. She also weighed Toffee and set me a target to get to his weight ( she said he's a nice weight... even though i think he's a little porker )
She is however gaining weight and we need to build her up a month till she can have her vaccs.
This disheartened me as i knew she couldn't have them but she's such a happy little thing it really upsets me that even though she's put on alot of weight, she's still so light.. :(

And forgotton what question was :lol:

:wave:

just to say you might get more responses if you post stuff like this in rabbit chat or rabbit care

ggod luck with ghost, she is very lucky to have someone so caring looking after her

I was only kidding, yuhh i kinda posted it in the wrong section.. oopsie
Thanks anyway :lol:

nope, she's being fed excel.... oh i remember.. how much was it to spey your rabbit?
they want £67 something!!!

Good luck with putting her weight on.
I thin around £50 is about average for a spay. Including pain meds and a gut stimulant post op. :)

Oh, okay i thought it was so much as Toffee was only £30 something, but i know it's a much more complicated procedure.

If it were cancer, it's not too late to feed him w/ 6 oz. to 12 oz. of blackberry daily. It works for Goofball, after 6 oz. in the first 6 mth., and move to 9 oz. and eventually 12 oz. in the next 6 mth., all signs of bone cancer were gone 11 mth. later from the day of bone cancer discovery. Do a search under her name to get more details in this forum

My girls were spayed yesterday and it cost £50 each I think it depends on the vets and where in the country you are

My spays (my bunnies you understand, not me :shock:) are going to cost about £65. The receptionist was at pains to tell what that included ie post op check and anaesthetic etc - she ran through a long list (but I still thought it was expensive :oops: !)

My vet charges me £30 Spey and £15 Neuter.
I also recommend Porridge with water to try and put some weight on.

flippin eck my vets charge £72 for a spey and I also recommend porridge to put weight on:D

With regards to the porridge as I have a bun that needs feeding up. I know it was mentioned as 1 teaspoon with boiled water but how many times a day do you feed it? Do they prefer it soggy and creamy or only with a tiny bit of water?

Had one of mine spayed last week at a new vets - £65 including pre-op and post-op check up. When I had my other female done last year my vets charged over £100. They failed to include meds and vat in the quote! I've sinced found a lovely new vet. Most of the vets around here (nr Windsor) seem quite expensive.

Back