• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

is my rabbit bullying me

wattsy

Young Bun
hello, i was wondering what you rabbit people think of this, my bunny who is now fourteen weeks old wont be handled, is struggling like mad. every day i have to transport her from her cage in the garage to her outside one on the concrete. at first she was fine but gradually had issues being handled, a few bad pick ups and she has scratched me to death, i am worried she will hurt herself struggling. so i am encouraging her to go into a cage with a treat and am not actually picking her up at all. is this wrong, will she end up behaving badly because if have not tackled her adolescence. i am working on the theory that she doesnt want to be picked up so i dont, what would you do?

Well i am no expert and have only just got a rabbit myself last week.

But i have had horses, cats, dogs and i can tell you that you should never show animals fear as if they can sense fear or nervousness then they have won.

I think it just takes time, my barney has bitten me a few times but i still pick him up in the hope that he will get used to it. xx

Hiya..
I had the same thing with Blossom..Your little bun is just being a teenager. To be honest as soon a she had had her VHD jabs..She calmed down alot.(dont think this was the reason though.!!)
Hang in there she will get better.

Rabbits are prey animals and do not like being caught for obvious reasons. She will not panic so much if you can build some trust between you. Try some time on you lap and give her some healthy treats to reward her.

Mine hate it too so your not alone.
Good luck!

It's perfectly natural :) Rabbits by instinct detest being held as they are prey animals. Most domestic rabbits still have this innate feeling, it's a lovely rare thing a rabbit that enjoys cuddles :D

I rarely pick mine up unless they are getting themselves into trouble, at the vets and when I give them a once over at home. You are right, it's important to be able to do it when you need to.

It's easiest to do in a small space. I lure mine into the bathroom for health checks, get down on the ground and in one swift movement put one hand under front legs and the other under their bum to support their back legs. Never pick up a bunny with two hands around the torso, they can kick and injure themselves :(

It takes patience and time, but is very rewarding :) And although most are not keen on being held above ground, most will sit on your lap, be stroked and petted (often with food incentive) :lol:

had the same problem with some of my buns. I had one, Parsley, who kicked the hell outta anyone who attempted to pick him up. In the end we had to have one hand around his back legs, holding them together and one under his chest holding his front paws. That way he didnt struggle and couldnt hurt people, it calmed him down alot. Even my hazel, who is the sweetest little thing, kicks when anyone other than me tries to handle him. Build up trust with this bun and make sure you hold it close to you, so it feels safe.

My two dislike being picked up too, Smokey tolerates it (but pulls faces) but Inky will actively try to injure you!

Rabbits are prey animals, so for them picking up is quite scary, I tend to avoid it if at all possible. If you have to pick them up, I tend to stay quite low to the ground, so if they struggle, I can just let them go. Also, it may be worth getting your vet/vetrinary nurse to show you the best way of picking them up, mine showed me and it has helped me ever since (the rabbits just don't realise I'm doing it right).

You may also find that if you get your rabbit spayed, she will be easier to handle.

does my bunny bully me

My two dislike being picked up too, Smokey tolerates it (but pulls faces) but Inky will actively try to injure you!

Rabbits are prey animals, so for them picking up is quite scary, I tend to avoid it if at all possible. If you have to pick them up, I tend to stay quite low to the ground, so if they struggle, I can just let them go. Also, it may be worth getting your vet/vetrinary nurse to show you the best way of picking them up, mine showed me and it has helped me ever since (the rabbits just don't realise I'm doing it right).

You may also find that if you get your rabbit spayed, she will be easier to handle.

when can you get them spayed. that might be the answer

Back