• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

flies/ticks?

Chai Tea

New Kit
We've had our rabbit Chai, living outside in a hutch for quite some time now, and have never had any problems with flies or ticks until the other day. We noticed a small round shaped bug attached to her cheek, it was almost seethrough, and couldn't see the front half. We decided to leave it for a day or so, before taking any further action, just to make sure it was a bug. When we came back in a couple hours, it had gotton bigger, and it soon fell off. We didn't really worry about it after that, until today, now there is a new, smaller one, next to her eye.

Can any body tell us what these would be? And if we should be worrried?

Thanks for your help.

Not really sure as I've never seen ticks on rabbits myself. My dog used to get ticks and they grow bigger. It could be a tick. Doesn't sound like fleas to me.

Thanks...

Does anybody know how I should deal with them? I was just wondering if they could be fly eggs. I agree, I don't think they are fleas.

oh I hadn't thought of that, if they are clear looking I guess they could be, do you know what it looks like once it's fallen off?

It might be a good idea to take your bunny to the vets to get treatment, no matter what bug it is, it doesn't sound nice.

it has been quite hot over the past few days which has attracted loads of differnet bugs.

What you're dealing with there is most likely a tick.
I've never seen them on rabbits but I've had a few myself :shock: Creepy little :censored: :? They're not generally dangerous but they can carry diseases which could pass to your bunny if not removed in time. You could try to pull them out using your fingernails if you make sure you grab them as close to the head as possible. But if that doesn't work then I'd advice you to ask your vet about it.

once when my old cat had a tick from the garden i rang the vet and they told me to smother the tick in vasaline..then it cant breath and will fall off.

Ticks are arachnids, related to spiders. Males are small and rarely seen: female adults grow to about the size of a large baked bean. They attach to the skin by means of hooked jaws and live on blood.

Most commonly ticks come from hedgehogs, but sheep and deer ticks are common on moorland. The greatest concern is that they can carry infections, the most serious of which is Lyme disease.

Removing ticks needs to be done carefully to avoid breaking off the hooks. If parts of the tick are left in the skin, they will cause small, painful abscesses.

Just read this on a website, not sure if it will help. Also read as someone else said, that you should cover the tick in vasaline before trying to get it off.

Last edited:
Small parts can be left in the skin without causing any harm,they usually come out after a while. Or that's what I've been told anyway.

Ive read somehwere that you can get special sticks to remove ticks. They are horrid little blighters. I think I would nip the bunny to the vets just incase though.

Thanks so much for all your help everyone!

The "tick" has yet again, fallen off. I havn't seen any on her since. I'll remember the vasaline trick, and I'm just hoping it didn't carry lyme disease. How common is it normally? She's acting fine.

Back