• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Please Help, Blood everywhere

My bunny, Ronnie, has overgrown teeth and has them cut by the vet avery 4 weeks...
He hasn't had them done for a while as I was checking them and they wern't long enough to have cut...
Today, he was in his run outside and before I put him in I checked his teeth, they were quite long so I am arranging an appointment at the vets. However, I went out to check on him and he jumped and went mad. He wouldn't stop running.
I picked him up and there was blood EVERYWHERE! It was all over me and all over his face. He had a mouthful of blood and I am cleaning out a cage to put him away, but I'm worried. Should I clean his face with warm water? Where is the best place to put him?

Please Help...

Yes, I agree vets asap. With that much blood he could have done serious injury or damaged his jaw. Even minor damage could have knocked his teeth out of alignment and need correction.

Tam

Finally managed to get a look... he's managed to break his tooth off, but I can't seem to find the other bit in the run... its still bleeding but it has slowed down and isnt gushing from anywhere. I have got an appointment with the nurse as the vet isnt in today.

Hope he is ok. With a trauma like that I would be very cautious to keep an eye out for any abscesses that may develop. The bleeding means he has disrupted the tooth from the socket and it's a prime place for infection. I would also have the vet check his back teeth in a week or two to make sure no damage has been done to his jaw alignment...either that or an x-ray. I've had a very similar experience and my rabbit pulled her jaw out of alignment resulting in severe malloclusion. Good luck!

The bleeding usually stop after a no. of hr. Goofball had her teeth at a wrong angle, so it cut her tongue and thus, some small amt. of blood. In the end, the blood stopped by themselves. Needless to say, I manage to find a vet that day, but there is nothing he need to do that day, except book for surgery the next

Back