• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

WEIGHT lOSS

Fifibutton

Wise Old Thumper
Rowaneberrie has an incredibly healthy apetite but she is thin, I can feel her bones poking through. She used to be more filled out so I am worried. She is looking rather scruffy atm, going through a moult too. But she has lost weight rather suddenly. She is very active, running and playing and her teeth and general health are fine. I tried to give her porridge yesterday but she turned up her nose at it. Is there anything I can give her that will fatten her a little?

Has she been seen by a vet to see if there is a reason for the weight loss. When our bridge bun Harvey lost a lot of weight, they suspected a liver parasite which we treated him for and he did brilliantly and with the treatment + supported feeding he piled the weight back on!

Could it be moult? My Cracker lost a lot of his underhair a couple of years back - he looked awful:shock: I was really worried, but vet said he was a healthy weight.

I don't think its the moult. She has always been slender but now she is too thin. She is eating though :shock: I'm baffled. I've been wondering about taking her to the vet but am not sure how rabbit savvy they really are. How did you go about getting Harvey tested for the liver parasite, Monkey?

If she is eating a lot but losing weight it definately sounds like some kind of parasite :( Good news is that most of the time it is easily treated. I'm no expert however, you need a vet :)

My vet could feel his liver was enlarged and we did some blood tests to check if there was anything major going on, they showed nothing so the parasite was the next most likely option. I was offered to try treating for that (simple oral meds) or go straight for x-rays/ultrasound, and opted to try the meds firsts, which did the trick.

Back