• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Eyes

Graeme27Uk

Warren Scout
Smudge seems overly keen on licking in the eye area. There seems to be a patch of fur (very small) that she has licked off....

Is this a problem?

shes licking her partners eyes?

i would keep an eye as over grooming can cause sores. someone who knows more should be along soon!

shes licking her partners eyes?

.........unless Smudge has an exceptionally long tongue !! :shock:

Seriously though, I'd keep a good check on the other Bun as over-cleaning of the eye area can cause local irritation of the skin around the eye and sometimes infection in the tearduct. Infact one early symptom of a tearduct problem is for the partner of the effected Bun to be overly interested in the eye.

Janex

.........unless Smudge has an exceptionally long tongue !! :shock:

Seriously though, I'd keep a good check on the other Bun as over-cleaning of the eye area can cause local irritation of the skin around the eye and sometimes infection in the tearduct. Infact one early symptom of a tearduct problem is for the partner of the effected Bun to be overly interested in the eye.

Janex

well hats what i though but i was reading and reading it and i though... no... can't be!

Smudge seems to have a fascination with the eye area (not the eye itself!) in general as when she grooms Frosty or Cookie she invariably focuses on the eye area....

I can't see any sign of infection and there is no discharge. The rabbits dont scratch their heads as if in pain....

I know Elsie licks Jess's eyes a lot but I'm sure she's just licking off sleepy dust, and I haven't noticed any bald bits or probs. Although I wouldn't say she grooms her eyes more than anywhere else.

Back