• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

clear runny nose one nostril....?

purplebumble

Warren Veteran
well me mums wee bunny has given her something to panic over...she started sneezing a few times..then two days later she had a wetish nose one side....mum is insisting she keeps wiping her nose with her paw or licking her nose a lot.
im over there every day putting the antibiotic/steroid stuff on the orrid lumpy puncture wound on her back...and i can only say..shes had some of her old bag of oat hay as she wouldnt eat the timmy hay..and also the same time i got her some readigrass and she loved it. trouble is cos of weird sleep pattern..stress etc etc i find it hard to remember much about is it a wekday today...when did i get the milk..oh yes yesterday..um nope a week ago...
im seriously scaring myself with my memory probs and im trying to ask my 78 yr old forgetful all her life mum what day she was given what hay and how many days has it been now:shock::oops:

she saw the vet last week i think it was last week oh hell...anyway she was fine till the oathay and readigrass.....

but i was owrried..first thing enters my head..snuffles beginning of..tries not to overreact..fails.....realises the one nostril is a but wet around the nostril itself mainly the upper part not all down her face etc like my mum said it was..no evidence of any wet paws either...so either shes good at cleaning it off or my mum just over reacted too?
shes not sneezing only those two times...and the discharge isnt notcieable unless you spot this wee bit of dark ginger fur around her nostril and you think its a spot..her nose is damo when i stroke ehr but then so is berties willows and bifs and bandits come to that...and the two cats...but not as much as this and not one sided...

our bunvets off till tuesday...had a word with normal vet and she said if she was lively etc and not gunky coloured disharge to think it was an allergic reaction. theres been loads of neighbours burning things in their gardens due to no room in bins and my mum and others burn up their paperwork thats too much to shred..
so i calmly tell ehr it could be that even tho she does close the doors and windows enough can get in thru air vents etc on your clothes...

also the oat hay wasnt off but was a bit dusty compared to the timmy hay which is also a little dusty but its oxbow. the readigrass shes not had before so its possble its that..

im dreading the morning shell be on about her poor nose again and hiow she wont come near her,....um you had dregs or smoke on your clothes from round and abouts maybe:shock:

i worry for hunnybunny bit more for my mum as shes asthmatic!! as am i and my daughters!

also mumthe pollen counts bene pretty high till the rian washed it down and as soon as we had some sun it shot up again and they cut the grass ont he greens otday..neighbiurs everywhere all the time...

can bunnies get hayfever..well says i they can get an allergic reaction just like a cat or dog or human.

was i right to say that..should i see whose on rota for sat emergency service instead of locum foreign vet tomorrow..will she get beter and we can see rob tuesday with ehr...all i said to mum was we have to wait and see how she goes but my mums obviously not going to cope with that.

any ideas folks or have any of you with pasturella buns have stories where it started like this?

If it's clear rather than white that suggests something irritating it rather than snuffles which tends to be more gunky. It could be dust/allergy or if she's pawing at her face a bit of grass/hay stick in her nose (possibly near the back of her mouth rather than her nostril.

Tam

Back