• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Stasis

max5445

New Kit
Hi, i am looking after a friends two rabbits whilst she goes on holiday, they have previously suffered with Stasis on one occasion, would be grateful for any advice if this was to happen again. many thanks in advance

My buns have never suffered it but my understanding is the bun stop eating and will become quiet. Buns can't really be without food for more than a few hours (hay included) otherwise the liver starts to release toxins which can kill. There are things that people do on here to get the gut working again but I would probably say if you see symptoms to take them to the vet who will check it out.

One of my rabbits suffers with this fairly regularly. The rabbit will become quiet and stop eating, they may also be grinding their teeth in pain or sitting in a strange position/be layiing flat out.

The best thing to do if you don't have much experience of this is to keep the rabbit warm and get it to a vet ASAP (they can die from it very quickly).

Hope this helps

FC xx

If it happens, post it here. It's not difficult to treat. In short, give 2 - 3 cc of metoclopromide and pretty of fluid, some greens, and force feeding if necessary if he doesn't eat enough.

Do a detail search in this forum, there are pretty of stasis case for you to read

Back