• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Your advice needed

hayleyhelen

Alpha Buck
Hi,
I am new to this forum and am greatly impressed by how you know your stuff.
My beloved house rabbit died a few months ago and i have now been offered some 12 week old rabbits from a litter belonging to a friend. I would like to take 2 rabbits (well in an ideal rabbity world i would take them all!) and wondered if people would advise pairing 2 does or a buck and a doe? Also if i was to take a buck and a doe would it be neccesary to neuture them both or just one, and if one which one? I had read that it can be best to do the does to prevent cancer.

Any help or suggestions would be hugely appreciated.

Many Thanks, Hayley

I would opt for same sax pairs so long as you are willing to neuter both as soon as they are old enough. You can take on a male/female pair but they will have to be seperated at ten weeks old until the male has been neutered....even then you have to wait between four to six weeks before trying to rebond unless the doe has been spayed early too.

The best pairings are male/female (though someone more expert might be able to give a different opinion on litter mates as the male/female thing might not apply here.) You obviously have to keep male/female separate until at least one is neutered but having two does would obviously be an advantage from this point, but they might fight before spaying when the hormones kick in ...

Both would benefit from neutering for behaviour reasons. The male may spray urine (not nice especially for a house rabbit). Both could benefit from reduced hormones, and as you have obviously read, the doe especially would benefit because of the very high risk of cancer.

Normal the best/easiest pairing is a neutered male with a neutered female. If you are getting them as babies you will need to seperate them until old enough to be neutered to avoid accidental litters. Good luck with whichever buns you go for.

PS. welcome to RU :D

Back