• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

neutering and spaying

dawnki

Young Bun
Ok---so Bobi, my buck and molly, a doe are both going in next week for their 'alterations'---the vet said, 'No food after 8pm the night before'-----this is wrong information---can you guys give me some info on what to do, how to prepare them for their surgeries? This vet did neuter Pip--my lionhead and he came out just fine----I didn't know about their sensitive digestive tracts before I took him in. My bad.

Honestly? I'd find another vet :? No rabbit savvy vet should advise starving a bun as this can be extremely dangerous!

ETA - as long as your bun is fit and healthy then just feed as normal before the op.

I'd agree with the above, that's very dangerous information to be giving out as rabbits should never be starved. I would consider looking for a more rabbit savvy vet in your area, and also have a chat with your current practice to let them know that they are giving out wrong info.

I'm afraid I agree with the above. I've just booked my little doe for her spay (after deliberating on how rabbit savvy my vets really are) and a nurse talked to me for quite a while (and not because I was asking question). Amongst other things, she advised me to take some of her usual food to help her get eating when she comes round, everything she said was really reassuring. If they had said to starve her I would have run a mile:shock:.

I would also be looking for another vet :? Its shocking that the vet said to starve your bunnies. I do hope you find a bunny savvy vet. Good luck with your bunnies ops :)

The particular vet is sort of the vet for the small village in which I live. I did call other vets outside of town to get different estimated costs and everyone else were EXTREMELY high---like $275-$300 for a doe and $250 for a buck---they all charged $$ for things like the rent for a recovery cage!

I know this vet has altered many bunnies for the animal sanctuary up the street. Maybe I could bring him some information and make him aware? Do any of you know of any good links which I could present to him and see how he reacts?

I sincerely appreciated all of your input! Thank you so much!:love:

have you chatted with the animal sanctuary to ask them how happy they were with his service, and whether he lost any of their rabbits?

i would not be at all confident for a vet with such a lack of basic knowledge, to perform major surgery on my pet. :( :( good luck

I used to work at the sanctuary. The bunnies were kept in large ---nice---outdoor runs. They all came back just fine from the vet.

I will check into other vets---I want my animals to have the very best care!

Was it definately a vet you spoke to? Sometimes a receptionist will give out wrong information over the phone. This may not mean the vet will not do their job properly. I would ring them up first and make sure someone knows that you were given wrong information. If it was indeed a receptionist then they all need to be told the right information so no one is told this again.:wave::)

It was the receptionist that I spoke to and not the vet.

Then this doesn't necessarily mean the vets are not going to do a good job. You may want to let them know that you were given this information so that the receptionists are reminded. If you are feeling uneasy about the vets ring up and speak to a vet and ask what their advice is. I'm sure they won't tell you to starve your rabbit. If so then don't use them.

Back