• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Plea to people taking in a new bun

Lucy

Warren Veteran
Please get your rabbit to the vets swiftly so you can make sure what sex the rabbit is. They should be going for myxi jabs and panacur anyway, but if you took the rabbit for a health check and confirmed the sex, we would have a lot less of these accidental litters that seem to be coming up a lot at the moment. These accidental litters take homes away from rescue bunnies, so less born would mean more rabbits could be rehomed from rescues.

Don't assume what sex your rabbit is if you're told by someone or if you're not experienced in sexing. Go to the vets, get a myxi jab and get it checked!

Please don't be offended by this, it's not a personal dig at anyone. Just an attempt to try to make people check what they have so no more unwanted litters are born.

PMSL, well I'm guilty of this, luckily for me I have enough room not to put un-neutered buns together and they're all neutered straight away anyway, but a couple of times the vet has rang me and said we just spayed your buck or we castrated your doe :oops::oops::oops:

Yeah, but you're sensible :lol: sort of :lol::lol: (by not mixing them I mean)

I was more referring to people who put the rabbits together on the assumption what they've been told is right. Also BIG another problem people who buy rabbits from pet shops and assume the pet shop has sold them same sex pairs. Very often one is not what is should be and results in a litter. Unless your rabbit comes from a reputable rescue and has been neutered..... PLEASE, get your rabbits sex checked.

PMSL, well I'm guilty of this, luckily for me I have enough room not to put un-neutered buns together and they're all neutered straight away anyway, but a couple of times the vet has rang me and said we just spayed your buck or we castrated your doe :oops::oops::oops:

I'm the same - I took "Alice" in to be spayed, but he got neutered:oops: It was really obvious too:oops: He was an 18 month old NZ white:lol: However I get buns fully vet checked before I bond anyway, so we good:lol:

:lol::lol::lol: Angie, at least I'm not the only one :lol:

What do you mean Lucy I am as sensible as you can get :eek: :lol::lol:

Please get your rabbit to the vets swiftly so you can make sure what sex the rabbit is. They should be going for myxi jabs and panacur anyway, but if you took the rabbit for a health check and confirmed the sex, we would have a lot less of these accidental litters that seem to be coming up a lot at the moment. These accidental litters take homes away from rescue bunnies, so less born would mean more rabbits could be rehomed from rescues.

Don't assume what sex your rabbit is if you're told by someone or if you're not experienced in sexing. Go to the vets, get a myxi jab and get it checked!

Please don't be offended by this, it's not a personal dig at anyone. Just an attempt to try to make people check what they have so no more unwanted litters are born.

I completely agree with you but I would just like to say not all vets know what they are doing. I was given a guinea pig, I didn't know if it was male or female so I took it to the vets. The vet told me that the guinea pig was a female. Didn't want 'Squeak' to be lonely so went and got 2 more females. A couple of months later I had 10 guinea pigs on my hands!!:shock: Squeak was not a female after all :roll:

I took my flemish doe in for her maxi jab at 10 weeks and she was a buck! Do all buns have to have Panacur? Mine are netured and vacanated but vets never mentioned panacur????

I would wholeheartedly agree with this - we got a pair of females only to discover that they were a buck and a doe.

We asked the vet to sex them when they went in for their Myxi jabs.

Althought we had some suspicions that we had a mixed pair from their behavoir.

I think it happens quite often, yes. I had at least two foster bunnies that came to me as girls and then I found plums on them. (*you know who you are, thought you could pull them up and hide them, didn't you*) People tend to trust pet shops too much. It doesn't cost the world to take the bunny to a vet and have it checked over.

I'm getting Ghost checked over tomorrow, but it won't matter if she's a neutured male as Toffee is a neutured male as well, and i'm sure she's definitely not anyway!!
I agree with this as sexing at vets as it is 'complimentary' meaning you dont have to pay for it if it's done by a nurse.
Also no myxi jabs for her until i think she's got enough strength as she's very weak at the moment, although she is becoming stronger each and every day :D

Yeah I was told that Miles (the only non-rescue bun) was male, but I got him checked at the vets anyway before I got him neutered and then paired him up with a spayed doe from a rescue (Miffy). All my other buns have been from rescues so have had veterinary checks before I got them (and in many cases, their vaccines and neutering too). But that's great advice for anyone getting their rabbits from "unreliable" (even if well-meaning) sources.

AMETHYST

Is it possible to make it sticky as I think it's a really important tool in cutting down accidental litters :D

I think that the double checking of bunnies' sex is CRUCIAL. I know SO many people who have discovered.....often in the most unfortunate way.....that their bunnies weren't the sex that they had been told they were. So yes, I TOTALLY agree with what Lucy has said.....unless you got your bunnies from a reputable rescue who has already had them spayed/neutered, PLEASE get them checked again by a knowledgeable person ASAP. :D

opps i took in tinkerdora but i checked what sex she was, and yes i onyl found out 2 weeks later all i needed to no, but im here for her and im pretty sure all of you would say iv gave her a safe and welcome home,:)

Well I spent 3 months thinking Boris was a Doris :oops: before it crossed my mind that maybe I ought to have someone check her,and yes,she turned out to be a he lol.

Back