• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Emergancy Flystrike!! U/D all clear

Kezza30

Warren Veteran
HI, my poor Cleo has a definate flystrike. Cleo is just mesy, since having her teeth out she does not clean herslef at all, we are constantly cleaning her or taking her to be shaved by our vet, 1 week later she's exactly the same. :(

Tonight she's matted again so we brought her in yet again to be cleaned down, when we noticed maggots in her:cry:

Dad and brother are cleaning her down trying to get as many off as possible, mums on the emergancy vet:cry:

What are the chances of survival i just don't want to take her down to be pts:cry:

Has anyone else had this with extremely messy buns? :cry:

Last edited:
DO NOT wash her bum!!!

Had to type that first before saying anything else....i'm so sorry you are experiencing this. It's important to try and pick any maggots off without getting her wet as the vets will want to clip her and they can't do this if she is wet. Hopefully you will have caught it in time depending on how long they have been there and the damage they have caused. The main issue is shock so the bunny must be kept warm and will need to be constantly hydrated. :(

Yes I wouldn't question getting her to the vet....

Last edited:
Awww poor little bunny. I had the same problem with my bunny years ago and it was the worst thing I have ever seen.

I took mine to the vets convinced he would be pts but he pulled through.

Hope your bunny pulls through, keep us updated. x

Sorry about this you are doing the right thing by picking the maggots off. They can survive this I haven't personally had a rabbit with fly strike but my friend's rabbit had it and survived.

You're doing the right thing by trying to get as many maggots off as you can. Your bun will need to get to a vet immediatly.

Have you tried using rear guard? This is available from your vets and can be used on buns at a high risk of getting fly strike.

Let us know how you get on and good luck,

Hi, I have experienced this 2 years ago when my very poorly bun got it.

Immediate trip to vets and applied rearguard too - to stop any further eggs hatching. It was then checking her every half hour or so to see if there were any more that needed to be picked off. We caught it early and she survived (until we lost her 5 days later due to her illness).:cry:

I think the vet gave her and injection starting with per?????? I am not sure if it is used now. It was no guarantee that it would kill any bugs inside but it was the only chance we had.

Good luck, hope you have caught it early enough and she makes it.

Ohh no we already washed her bum before i came on here, it's the first thing we did i thought it would help get the maggots off:cry:

She is off now mum and dad have taken her to the vet, my hearts in my throat just waiting for news:(

Thanks loopyloop i'l be getting some of that for Cleo as she's a defiante risk bunny and us trying our best clearly isn't good enough:cry:

Make sure your Mum and Dad get some rearguard from vet tonight if possible. You can only get it from vets.

Thinking of you.

Ohh no we already washed her bum before i came on here, it's the first thing we did i thought it would help get the maggots off:cry:

She is off now mum and dad have taken her to the vet, my hearts in my throat just waiting for news:(

Thanks loopyloop i'l be getting some of that for Cleo as she's a defiante risk bunny and us trying our best clearly isn't good enough:cry:

Don't worry.... if I was in your position and didn't know what to do I would have done the same. Hopefully there isn't much tissue damage and she will be fine... it sometimes takes a few days to clear them of the maggots. I will keep her in my thoughts. Is it Vets Now at Gateshead she has gone to?

Fingers crossed for your bunny.

I lost one to flystrike a few years ago. It was a big shock as I knew nothing of it until he got it. I'm better researched now.

I am dreading it, i really hope it's not to far and shes treatable but i think if she isn't this guilt will haunt me forever:cry:

Charlie82 yes it's that one there taking her to.

I am dreading it, i really hope it's not to far and shes treatable but i think if she isn't this guilt will haunt me forever:cry:

Charlie82 yes it's that one there taking her to.

Try not to worry...although I know it's pretty pointless saying that! The vets there are great..I *think* Lauren may be on duty tonight and she knows what she is doing.

Flystrike can happen within a matter of hours....especially on hot days like this. It can claim a rabbits life within 24 hours. You might have caught it early and it doesn't always happen to dirty rabbits. I am keeping my fingers crossed for you... x

ok hi there i have had a bun with fly strike once we picked off what we could and toook her straight to vets they will shave her and probebly put under anestetic like ours was to try and get as many out as possible, it is horrible for your bun but it needs to be done. they will shave her to try and help remove as many as possible and i would imagine will keep her in overnight she may have to go on a drip. ours survivec and was in hospital for about 2 days i think they will also rear gaurd which prevents eggs hatching good luck my fingers are crossed dont worry its not your fault even helathy buns can get it mine survived but it is serious fingers crossed and vibes to you. treat other bun too in case they have not hatched yet and has the same problem(by that i mean rear gaurd the bunny immediatly.

Thankyou hopefully it's very early and we caught it just in time. Oh so there's not a chance she'll be home tonight then, ack more worry for me i doubt i'll sleep:cry:

Yeah we are going to check and treat Buttons her bun partner and do there whole hutch etc out just incase.

My friend is quite often reporting that she is picking maggots off her bun and they survive! She doesn't take to teh vet, so hopefully yours will be fine too. xxx

Thankyou, hmm i would have thought they should still go to vets no matter how serious or minor problem is.

Grrrr i wish somebody would phone me, tell me whast happening before i tos something with frustration:evil: I'm stuck here watching my sister and my buns/piggies need fed and Buttons needs checking, i can't do it on my own, i'm going to explode:cry:

Back