• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

sticky bum - any thing else suggested

kathryn773

Warren Scout
A neighbour has 'rescued' a male, lop eared rabbit of about 1 yr old from an aquaintance.
On Sunday night he had started to get a sticky bum, we have cleaned him with baby wipes, doing no less than gently needing to manually evacuate his bum.
He is now given burgess hay, (hadnt been offered hay before, as the previous owner didnt feed him it), neighbour is now mixing pellets in with mix to wean to pellets only as he has been selectively eating.
I am about to go around to help her clean his bum again, .... what else should i advise her? (have already suggested Rabbits United)

Yeah Hay is great and is needed, also change of diet gives them the runs or particular foods.
I heard through the grape vine that Strawberry leaves are very good for sticky bums (not strawberries). I'm currently feeding my lot this as my new rescue bun ( Ghost ) as sticky bum bum from getting getting new foods.
I had Toffee's bum clipped at vets(for free)

I know when I had Sooty he had a sticky bun because I was feeding him too much and he was over weight. He was put on a diet by the vets and was a lot better after that. It might be worth gradually reducing the pellets, and veg.

UD better news

Just been round!
his bottom is not full tonight! his fur is a little dirty but i didnt need to do anything invasive, just gently wiped off a bit and helped freshen the hutch.
fingers crossed things continue to improve.

plenty of hay and only change the diet slowly(except hay) that is very very important.... also dont really feed much if any greens to start with a probiotic in the water can help also and keeping hutch clean and dry too. try and make sure that if a food disagrees with him he is given a different food iv had some buns who are fine on one brand and completly sticky on another dried(yup even with pelleted food) good luck x

Back