• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Photos of Lino'd Hutches and Gnawing Preventatives?!

hollyd123

Warren Scout
Hiya, :wave:

Sorry, didn't have a clue what to put has the subject heading! I'm hopefully to re-do 'Darcy Mansions' and I'm after some ideas. Firstly, she's terrible for chewing the inside of her hutch (even though she has loads of things given to her to chew!). I think there is something I can buy from B&Q to put over the wood to stop her chewing it, but can't remember what? Any piccies of this stuff in place?

Secondly, she wee's for England :oops: ! Even though she is litter tray trained, she still manages to miss aim and coat the inside of her bedroom in stinky rabbit wee!! I know a lot of you use lino, how is this put in place and are there any problems with them chewing it? Someone mentionned yacht varnish - is this a possibility for stopping the wee penitrating the wood? Any problems with chewing it? Any photos of lino'd and or varnished hutches?

Many thanks in advance!!

- Holly -

P.S - She is now fully recovered from her spey and the wound has cleared up really nicely. The fur is growing back well to. How anyone could shave a rexy belly I just do not know?!!! :lol:

Mine had lino which I didn't fix down so they chewed that up! Now I have those stick-on vinyl tiles (got them at the pound shop so a bargain). Sorry don't have any pics though. They have managed to chew one but it's loads better and no wee on the wood at all. I've bought some of that small quarter beading from B&Q to stick around the edge to make a "skirting board" which should help keep them down but haven't nailed it in yet.

Just make sure there are no edges they can get their teeth round to pull as once they get started they have a field day!

Not sure about your first question. the only thing i yuse is a layer of wire over the inside wooden bits in my run but this may not be practical in your hutch.

We've lined the sheds with lino squares which have been great. They can lift if it gets really hot, but in a year, I've only had to replace 2 of them, so that's pretty good I think.

As for protecting the corners there are mesh strips that can be put around the corners and edges to stop them chewing. Not sure what their 'official' title is, :lol: but you can see them on some of the shed set ups on the housing threads.:D

I use plasterers metal batons on the edges of some of my hutches and runs from B & Q:) I just nail it onto the existing wood and it stops my buns attacking it :lol: Round the inside of playhouses Ive used wire weldmesh :) All my houses are floored with lino, works a treat :) Have you tried a big plastic underbed storage basket in the hutch ? I have them with paper on the bottom, shavings then hay, no pee gets over the side and the buns can lie in them to eat their hay.

I used plastering metal strip things stapled all around the playhouse. Need to get my staple gun out tho as they have discovered an uncovered bit to chew :roll:

Back