• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Ear cleaning question

Maizey

Wise Old Thumper
Bugsy has got very waxy ears.I took him to the vet yesterday and his ears are so full of wax that my vet,Jane,couldnt see his ear drum.Jane gave me two options the first being to have him in and sedate him to flush his ears or to put otoclean in his ears daily to see if that will shift the wax.I have used otoclean in the past with my bunnies and it hasnt had much effect.I am cleaning Bugsy"s ears out daily with olive oil which seems to be shifting the wax.My question is would it be ok to use almond oil instead as it is lighter than olive oil.

I have used Almond Oil before but found it no better than Olive Oil :?
I agree that Otoclean is not much use.

Janex

ok thank you Jane I will persevere with the olive oil.

Is there just as much wax being produced now ?

I am wondering if too much cleaning may over-stimulate the ear canal to produce even more wax :?
Hmmmmmmmmmm, its a catch 22 isnt it

Janex

There doesnt seem to be as much wax coming out now.I wipe his ear every morning with a damp cloth to get out the loose wax which he has shaken up his ear after I have put the oil in.His right ear has swollen up again and seems to be closed at the bottom.My vet Jane says its the left ear which is worse than the right.I think I will put the oil in every other day to give his ear time to settle down.Next week I think I will have to let him have an ear flush.Im going to ask for some of the wax to be tested as I have read that the stapylococcus bacteria can cause excessive ear wax production.This nasty bacteria has killed Maizey,taken Barlies leg and Taken Honeys toe.I hope im barking up the wrong tree and hes just a bun that produces a lot of wax.

Back