• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Not eating Pellets

Foxy&Fudge

New Kit
Dear All... Hope you are all well.. and the buns :)

Have an important question...

My Tyler (white X Lop) has decided that he will be picky with what he eats.... i guess a bit like me.. :oops:

I feed him 1 table spoon of WAGG rabbit food in the morning and 1 tbspn in the evening... he eats fresh grass and loads of melon peels, apple slices, cabbage, carrots....everything really....
But he has now decided that he will leave at the bottom of his bowl the pellets..... the brown longish things... (like horse food..)
Is that stuff good for him, should he be eating it.. is he just spoilt.. he knows hes going to get other goodies so hes refusing to eat the healthy stuff...???
or am i worried for no reason?

Thanks for the advice guys..
have a good day..
i will be waiting for some replies ;)
tata

I use a food that is like a combined pellet so my buns can't pick and chose. Used to have piggies that left the pellet bit you describe though.

As i understand it, the hay is the most important part of the diet followed by the leafy green veg and the concentrated food is less important.

But - I'm relatively new to rabbits. I'm sure someone else on here will be able to advise better

Oh he eats hay alright...
i think he might just be spoilt...
The WAGG mix i get has leafy things and all other stuff in it.... i dont understand why recently hes been leaving the pellets...

Thanks anyway Lula...

:wave: The mix muesli food like wagg tends to make them pickie selective eaters and thus they dont get all the vitamins and fibre they need. A good pellet feed is so much better for bunny, packed with fibre and vits and after the initial change over none gets left. Some good ones are Science Selective and Allen and Page Natural pellets. If you do decide to change do it gradually putting a bit in there normal feed and cutting back on the mix slowly at the same time increasing the new pellets over a week to 10 days, so ultimately they are just on pellets. Hope this helps.

You could also try wagg optimum, it's made by the same people so should be available in the same place. It's basically all pellets so they can't pick and chose. Science Selective is also good, my bunnies seem to like it, but it's quite expensive.

What I do is give them most of their pellet food as science selective and then I sprinkle on top a few of the pieces from wagg muesli, like the squashed peas. I spray their vitamins on top so that when they eat their favourite bits they are getting their vitamins as well. They also eat up all of their science selective underneath so they must like it also :)

As long as he's eating plenty of hay and grass however that is the best thing and he should be fine.

Back