• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I have a dilemma....U/D Family pictures on page 11 and need a name help!!

Snowy

Wise Old Thumper
A lady came into my shop yesterday and asked if I wanted some rabbits, I said no but asked her what was the problem, she says she has inherited 2 rabbits and they keep having babies:roll::roll:and she can't cope with them anymore!!:shock:

Basically, she had 4 rabbits and her german shepherd dog ate 2 of them and so she has 2 left who keep having babies, the female has litters of between 1 and 3 babies every month I assume, because when she takes them to Pets at Home they told her that the adults dont need to be seperated:shock::roll:, she had so far taken in 15 babies.

Anyway, the lady is obviously not the sharpest knife in the drawer so to speak, I have taken the male from her, the female has one baby 2 days old and was still in with the male so she is possibly pregnant again:roll::evil:, she has a german shepard dog that is constantly barking at the dog crate where the mum and the baby are, the rabbits don't have any hay and the nest is made out of sawdust.

Should I risk taking the mum and the baby now or should I leave them there until the baby is old enough to be moved and risk them being attacked by the dog?

Last edited:
How awful :shock:

I dont have any experience with kits but just wanted to say OMG and I hope you can get it sorted! :( My instincts would say get them out of there if you can and think about the rest later :? :(

How awful :shock:

I dont have any experience with kits but just wanted to say OMG and I hope you can get it sorted! :( My instincts would say get them out of there if you can and think about the rest later :? :(

I know, it's really hard because moving the mummy and the baby now could put them in danger just with moving them or do I leave them and risk them dying anyway?

This is a very tough one! any help or advice would be appreciated

Theo
I would take them because I know that it will be playing on your mind terrible.
What en evil woman but you know they will be safe with you and away from that dog.

I hope she doesnt get any more bunnies though.

Amy xxx

Theo
I would take them because I know that it will be playing on your mind terrible.
What en evil woman but you know they will be safe with you and away from that dog.

I hope she doesnt get any more bunnies though.

Amy xxx

Yes but moving them now could kill the baby!

Is it worth risking it and if mum does kill the baby then you can get an emergency spay done, the poor rabbit having litter after litter

This is awful, it's one of the worst decisions I've had to make, I laid awake all last night thinking about it, I really don;t know what to do for the best, it's like a nightmare

personally id take them now because if you dont take them until baby is older theres more chance of her having another litter before you fetch them.better to risk the newborn that risk mum having another litter.x

Yes id say take them because not doing so is putting both mum and baby at risk (and possibly any kits she may be carrying), but sad as it would be for the baby to die, mum would be taken frm that awful situation and would be safe, and the baby may survive, we would have to say lots of prayers

How horrible:(

thats so difficult, ummm personally i wo uld take them now, because if the dog is barkign and has killed two before i would think the baby bun is in more risk there that what it would be if it was moved. i know they are not supposed to be moved yet but i would see this as an exception.

P.S snowy have you checked my gen chat thread?? xxx

Will she let you take the dog crate? I would put a big dark sheet over the whole thing and use a small van if you can, or estate car, and move the whole crate without moving the buns. Its go to be worth the risk losing baby compared to the constant stress the mum (and baby) must be under with the dog harrassing them.

I think I too would take them now. It is as you say a risk as she may kill the little one but on the other hand she is almost certainly pregnant again and you could save a lot of future heart ache by getting an emergency spay. If you leave them it will probably be another 3 weeks or so before you can move them at which point poor mum and baby will have had to have been suffering barking dog, probably a **** diet and she'll be churning out another litter soon which she may kill or will die because of the stress and bad conditions (why for example is there only 1 baby there now?)

If you can't move the crete with you, you could try taking as much bedding as possible plus her litter tray and so on, trying to keep the nest intact. keep her away from other bunnys if you can and in a really quiet place. I don't know if it would work but I think that would give best chance of sucess.

Last edited:
Will she let you take the dog crate? I would put a big dark sheet over the whole thing and use a small van if you can, or estate car, and move the whole crate without moving the buns. Its go to be worth the risk losing baby compared to the constant stress the mum (and baby) must be under with the dog harrassing them.

I agree with Leanne. What a :censored: horrible situation :cry: I do hope all goes well. xxx

I think I'd probably take them now Theo. From what you've said they are at more risk staying put. Poor Buns, some people really are ...........well, what I said on the phone !!

Janex

(why for example is there only 1 baby there now?)

The lady told me that the rabbit has only ever gien birth to 1, 2 or 3 babies and this time it was 1, that in itself tells me there is a problem

I think I need to go over to the ladies house and assess the situation for myself, I haven't yet seen the situation because she brought me the male

Poor bunnies :cry:

I'm sorry but even if you know nothing about rabbits surely you would know that if you leave them together they will keep having babies :roll: What is wrong with people :evil:

Good luck Theo with whatever you decide. xxx

Back