• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Does anyone take their rabbit for a walk?

No I wouldn't... although I know some people do.

I hear too many stories of rabbits being injured on leads and harnesses. The way I see it rabbits are prey animals, and despite how domesticated they are they still behave like rabbits i.e bolt when they are scared etc... I wouldn't take my rabbits out on a walk because I think it is too much of a risk etc...

I never have but I have heard it done. I tried Tango with l harness once so we could walk in the garden together but he didn't like it so I never bothered with it since.

Where do you take him? What do you do when you see another dog? Oh and do you get strange looks? (sorry had to ask:oops:)

Well I usually just take him around the backyard lol since we haven't yet gotten him an outdoor cage. I used to walk him on the street too but he didn't like that at all.
And yes I get a few strange looks,from the next door neighbour especially. He thinks I'm insane.:lol:

Well there's not much use "walking" a rabbit like a dog, I just put the harness on and let them go as they like.

None of my rabbits have ever been worried while using the harness, some might have been nervous at first but once they're out on the lawn they forget it's there. To keep them from getting injured its important to be careful and NEVER leave a rabbit wearing a harness unattended. I've had rabbits who got their feet entangled in the lead, so now I try my best to keep the lead of the ground, and if they do get entangled, fix it fast before the lead gets stuck somewhere and the rabbit's foot gets yanked.

I would be too scared that he is going to suddenly 'bolt' and injure himself. I definately wouldn't take him off your own propery, he could get scared by any other animals and there could be wild rabbits with diseases about.

i do~
but only for 10-20 minutes
any longer and they might suffer heat stroke
(singapore is very hot)

I just wish I could get him a nice outdoor cage but I'm too worried about these cats lurking around :? He spotted one at a distance before and freaked out so bad,it took ages to calm him down.

I would love to take my rabbits for a walk but I put Charles in the harness once and he hated it.
I now would never take them for a walk, it's not natural and they would hate it - to echo everyone else's points they would hurt themselves and would not be able to run away, I don't think it would be fair.

My buns love walks and yes rabbits can be trained to 'heel' and 'sit' 'lay' etc all my rabbits are either trained are being trained or to little to train another big thing some of them are trained in is rabbit hoping its really fun just like show jumping for horses only their rabbits and you walk them on a lead while they jump

check it out at
http://www.rhoa.tk/

I would love to take my rabbits for a walk but I put Charles in the harness once and he hated it.
I now would never take them for a walk, it's not natural and they would hate it - to echo everyone else's points they would hurt themselves and would not be able to run away, I don't think it would be fair.

Certainly not all rabbits are the same, but in my experience most rabbits can learn to get used to them.
I even tried putting one on a pair of very nervous sisters at school. These normally didn't enjoy much human company, and one of them, Kiara, hid under a table after I put the harness on. (Whether it was worry because of the harness or if she just didn't like being in the open I'm not sure) but her sister Nala took to it immediately. So I took her outside and let her run on the ground.
I've also met some rabbits who crunch down to the ground and refuse to move, yet the same rabbit has taken trips outside later.

i used to walk Mopsy. But i got her used to the harness at an early age then introduced the lead. However we only walked in the garden and only went where she went never pulled on the lead or anything like that. The only time i had to slight firmer hold on the lead was when she got stuck in a bush :roll: but that was just Mopsy lol :lol:

Hello only round our garden as it is not small bunny proof. She loves it but you have to be careful they don't get tangled in the lead.

much to my other halfs horror i do take snowy out she terrorises the neighbours cats...next doros cats and dogs are used to buns and used to be in and around thiers so she isnt scared of them and runs towards them to make freinds they panic and run off...lol she is very fussing in the fact that she will not cross any roads so we pop to the shop and back sometimes or have a play on the little green outside the house never for more than 30 mins as she then hops back towards the house and sits by the door lol she is teh freindliest rabbit ever but i would pick her up and walk away if i saw any dogs(not the neighbours who she is ok with) i am very careful there is no glass/dog poo on the way and always check before taking her out with me. she has full run of garden with dora and loves it but she likes to explore and loves the lead and harness...dora however just gets grumpy so i dont force her obviously. its not like walking a dog tho you follow the m around wherever they want to go the harness is more to stop them getting under a car or bolting into the road etc you should never force a bun to go on one and it really depends on the buns temperment on if they like it or not.
i do get odd looks from people in my street and one lady asked me what special breed of dog she was...then looked horrified when i said err a rabbit?! but my neighbours are used to me and usually its only out on the little green so they pop over to fuss her which she loves!!!!

Last edited:
Back