• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bunny not eating or pooing after spay

fiver & tenor

Young Bun
She was done yesterday morning and she has peed, and accepted water. But she isnt moving much, eating or pooing yet. I guess that almost 24 hours. Think she nibbled some veg at the vets. Iv been sitting up with her over night trying to hand feed her. Mashed some pellets in water, but she isn't interested. Will only drink if i put water on a spoon for her.

Just waiting for vets to open, but wondering if anyone here can offer some advice?
Px

Does she normall eat when being held? Some rabbits wont eat that way.

Basically you have to get her eating something so try all of her favourites. Fresh grass is always good with mine.

I would also phone the vets to see what they say.

If it's been 24 hours her pain relief (if she was given any) will probably have worn off now and she may not eat if she is in pain.

I'd go to the vet and ask about pain relief and maybe an appetite stimulant. Rabbits don't show pain easily, no squealing, wimpering etc so don't be put off by anyone saying she doesn't look like she is in pain.

If she normally eats pellets you can add hot water and mush them, then syringe feed but it is better if she eats on her own. Obviously you do need to get her eating as quickly as possible.

Good luck, sending eating vibes

Maria x

mine was the same just mashed up some pellets put it in a syringe held her and gave her about 5 or 6 ml left her for half an hour and she was eating on her own just needed a bit of a push the vet said it can be quite common for them to be put off eating after an operation so you may need to syringe feed her to get her to start eating again thats what i could recommend anyway

I used dandelion leaves to tempt Alice after spaying because they are a favourite. She sat quiet for nearly 24 hours too but then suddenly (just as I rang the vet) she decided to poo and started gobbling food!

Good luck:)

Sounds like the pain relief has worn off and she needs some more.

Once she has that, try offering:

Flat Leafed Parsley
Coriander leaves
Parsley
Dandelions

You can get the first three in a supermarket - if you can get the ones still growing in a small pot then thats best (they like to eat the roots too).

good luck

The first thing I get my buns to eat after a dental and after their spays is a small bit of fruit to entice them, its too good to pass by. :)

Any news, I take it shes eaten by now?

I had my Holly spayed just over week ago and she was like that for a couple of days, all she really did was sleep. She is fine now and eating normally, including the wall paper! :D. The only thing Holly would eat was fesh grass, which I had to keep pullig out of the garden for her so that might be worth a try.

I am sure she will be fine x :)

Update!!
Thanks for all the advice. I took her to the vets this morning and she says that she has an illeus. No sign of pain from the operation, so she was given an injection of metrachlopromide. (sp) She is now being fed baby food through a syringe and have to continue this 3 hrly. She still isnt eating independently and no poos yet.

We are back at the vets tomorrow afternoon.
I have tried her with all her favourite foods but she isnt intersted. On a good point she is hopping around now, so hopefully its just a matter of time before we get back to normal!

Thanks everyone!
Px

Back