• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

My bunny has a bad leg

webby_58

New Kit
Hello all - first time on this forum and hope someone may be able to advise!

My 9 week old male mini lop was having a energetic run around this evening. He did a huge 'binkie', but landed akwardly, fell on his side and has not since used his back left leg.

He seems happy enough - is still eating and drinking and being his nosey self, but is refusing to use his leg. Im really worried about him and wonder what action I need to take.

This is my first bunny and need some help!

Thanks

Sarah

Hello and welcome to the forum. Sorry to hear your bunny has hurt its leg. It might be best to take your rabbit to the vet just to check there is nothing wrong with it.

Hi and welcome.

I am sorry you are having problems with your rabbits leg. There are a number of possiblities that this could be including a spinal injury, boney injury of his leg or a soft tissue injury. The treatment is different depending on what the problem is.

I would settle your rabbit into an enclosed space to prevent further injury and get him to see a vet so that appropriate therapy can be given. In the meanwhile it is important that your rabbit has access to food and water without having to move around a lot.

Please do update us when you have see a vet.

I would def take to the vet. Marble had a limp and when I took him to the vets he had discloated it and must have been in a lot of pain. Rabbits are very good at hiding there injuries as they are prey animals

Thanks for all your messages.

Took bunny (Tickle) to vets this evening. No broken bones, but vet could feel a swelling of the knee.

Tickle has has an anti-inflammatory jab and has to be on bed rest for 2 days away from his best buddy, Twitch.
If no improvement by mon / tues, have to go back for x-rays to check for hair-line fractures.

He's still in good spirits and eating well - so fingers crossed he makes a full recovery!

How is Tickle this morning.Maizey had a cruciate ligament injury.He had to have plenty of rest and daily pain relief.It got better after about six weeks.

Back