• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Whats wrong with my rabbits eye! D:

cat001

Young Bun
Today I made an unsettling discovery, there is some sort of abrasion or build up on my rabbits eye! It's only his right eye that is affected, i can only assume he grazed it or something, i'm not sure. The blob on his eye is located exactly where his eyelids meet when he blinks, anyone have any ideas what this is? We're definatly wanting to take him to the vets when we can, I hope his eye is ok! :( Heres a picture of the affected eye..

IMG_5200.jpg

When we first took him to the vets about a month ago (when we only had him for a week or so) the vet said he was concerned about his buldging eyes, perhaps because his eyes buldge slightly he caught it on something?

Last edited:
Did my thread double post!?? I'm sorry if you're seeing two of the same thread, not sure how that happened!

How long has it been there. I'd bath it gently with some boiled water (left to cool and a pinch of salt added) just to check it's not something in his eye that will float out.

If it's still there it's possibly some damage/ulcer from an injury. If so the vet will give you some antibiotic eye drops to help it heal :)

Tam

How long has it been there. I'd bath it gently with some boiled water (left to cool and a pinch of salt added) just to check it's not something in his eye that will float out.

If it's still there it's possibly some damage/ulcer from an injury. If so the vet will give you some antibiotic eye drops to help it heal :)

Tam

Thankyou so much, I only just noticed it today, at first i thought it was something stuck in his eye, after a closer look i wasn't so sure anymore. He doesn't seem irritated by it but i'd like to try and sort his eye out as quickly as i can.

I vote for nothing.

It looks like a bit of sleep; one of my three gets them occasionally - I just "trap" her and take it out - if it's not stuck at the corner of her eye I use a cotton bud - that one takes two people! :lol:

Twinkle gets this all the time. It's just a bit of fluff or fur or whatever thats just stuck in their eye. I just wash my hands and get it out - if she stays still!

Thankyou so much for your help everyone, I paniced because this never happens to my other rabbit and we've not had him for very long. I took all your advise and was able to removed it with a cotton bud, he was very good, he just sat there and let me poke him in the eye with the damp bud :lol: He kept closing his eye shut tightly making it diffecult for me but atleast it was nothing serious, thanks again! :D

Thankyou so much for your help everyone, I paniced because this never happens to my other rabbit and we've not had him for very long. I took all your advise and was able to removed it with a cotton bud, he was very good, he just sat there and let me poke him in the eye with the damp bud :lol: He kept closing his eye shut tightly making it diffecult for me but atleast it was nothing serious, thanks again! :D

Good news :D

Janex

Back