PDA

View Full Version : Roundabout Rabbits!

LaLa
01-07-2008, 06:50 PM
On my drive to and from work I drive passed a roundabout where I see two little rabbits munching happily right on the side of the roundabout with cars whizzing passed. I'm amazed how they just take no notice!

How do they survive without water? I know there are rabbits on the other side of the road on the grass verge but it's too busy for them to dart across the road to find water! Do they get water from eating the grass? :?

CazScho
01-07-2008, 06:54 PM
Theres a roundabout just off the Heathcote Industrial Estate between Warwick & Whitnash which has got LOADS of bunnies on it:D. Like you say, they just sit there munching, so unconcerned with whats going on around (ie my OH driving me round and round for "just one more look" :oops:). I do wonder if they ever leave it!!!

LaLa
01-07-2008, 07:01 PM
Theres a roundabout just off the Heathcote Industrial Estate between Warwick & Whitnash which has got LOADS of bunnies on it:D. Like you say, they just sit there munching, so unconcerned with whats going on around (ie my OH driving me round and round for "just one more look" :oops:). I do wonder if they ever leave it!!!

Well there is no way they could make it to the other side in the day! perhaps they could risk it at night but surely they would be gasping for water on a day like today? :? I must admit it's a big and fast roundabout but I always slow down just in case they did run out!

Jayney
01-07-2008, 07:09 PM
i know a couple of roundabouts that have rabbits living on them.

to be honest i never thought about how they get water and they are both on really busy roads so i cant imagine it would be possible to cross day or night

racheld69
01-07-2008, 07:14 PM
maybe they get all the water they need from the grass and dew on the grass in the mornings as they don't eat dried food ie hay of biscuits which makes you thirsty?

LaLa
01-07-2008, 07:19 PM
maybe they get all the water they need from the grass and dew on the grass in the mornings as they don't eat dried food ie hay of biscuits which makes you thirsty?

Yeah that's what I thought but they must have to suck a lot of blades of grass to stop being thirsty! :)

Sue&Sooty
01-07-2008, 07:29 PM
:lol::lol: Looks like there are lots of 'bunny roundabouts' in this country then! There is one on the way to my parents house that the kids have actually named 'Bunnyland' cos there are so many bunnies there.

I wondered if maybe they have tunnels dug under the roads like rabbit subway :lol:

mini lop1
01-07-2008, 07:32 PM
theres also a roundabout just outside manchester airport where bunnies live on:shock::lol:

AnnaDelie
01-07-2008, 07:32 PM
We have a roundabout on the way to Porton that has around 50 or more buns - aparantly they've dug a huge warren underneath a car-sales garage :shock: :lol: go bunny's go!

LaLa
01-07-2008, 07:33 PM
:lol::lol: Looks like there are lots of 'bunny roundabouts' in this country then! There is one on the way to my parents house that the kids have actually named 'Bunnyland' cos there are so many bunnies there.

I wondered if maybe they have tunnels dug under the roads like rabbit subway :lol:

It's across the road from Sainsburys so perhaps they have a direct tunnel to there! :lol:

Thea & Bobbin
01-07-2008, 08:51 PM
There's one in Northampton like this too, first time I saw them I gasped! :shock: They were so close to the edge but didn't seem in the least bit concerned :)

I wouldn't be surprised if they have tunnels that get to the other side :D

NickieM
01-07-2008, 08:55 PM
I've been watching bunnies grazing at the side of the road near us, not on a roundabout, but they don't even blink when lorries go past.

AnnaDelie
01-07-2008, 09:11 PM
We were driving back from Delie's mums about a year ago now, going around 60 mph and saw a lil wild bun in the middle of our path and the bun froze :shock: luckily Del quickly spotted the bun and positioned the car so if he didn't move he'd be ok, we went back to check ('cos I was worried) and yay, he must have survived :)

ecudc
01-07-2008, 09:38 PM

I know that one :D:D:D I think they just pick up enough water from eating the grass which is dewey in the mornings and evenings and of course when it's raining.

Joob-joobs
01-07-2008, 10:41 PM
I took this pic of roundabout bunnies in Fort William last month. They were teeny wee! :love:

http://content.altnation.com/gallery/files/1/0/4/9/roundabout_bunnies.jpg (http://www.altnation.com/gallery/showimage.php?i=95929&c=665)

Tamsin
01-07-2008, 10:53 PM
I don't think they drink much usually just get the water they need from eating plants. I guess a lot of fields don't have handy access to water either. I know my two drink a lot less when they've had a big pile of greens :D

catherine
01-07-2008, 11:00 PM
There was a rabbit (looked like a baby) on a roundabout near us I was worried about it that it was stranded. OH said there must be tunnels underground (like a bunny subway) and the bunny would be alright :lol:

Becky's Bunnies
01-07-2008, 11:39 PM
also have a bunny roundabout:D.

its in bradley stoke.

i always go round a few times (well my o/h drives so i can look:love:).
x

pink poker
02-07-2008, 12:13 AM
the one outside ashford has loads we call it the bunsterbout

Rallybunny
02-07-2008, 06:04 AM
There's one by my mum and dad's too. :lol: I also say hello every morning to the buns I see on the side of the road on my way to work. There's one that's always in a certain spot enjoying the early morning sun. :love:

CazScho
02-07-2008, 06:51 AM
the one outside ashford has loads we call it the bunsterbout

Like it! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Cornishlass
02-07-2008, 07:34 AM
We have one here near Tescos and there are LOTS of little grey buns on it. Ahhhhh. I keep making DH drive slowly so I can watch. He thinks I'm mad. :lol:

LaLa
02-07-2008, 01:01 PM
I took this pic of roundabout bunnies in Fort William last month. They were teeny wee! :love:

http://content.altnation.com/gallery/files/1/0/4/9/roundabout_bunnies.jpg (http://www.altnation.com/gallery/showimage.php?i=95929&c=665)

They look exactly the same as the buns on the roundabout by me! I thought there was only 2 ickle buns to start but this morning I saw 4 and they must have been mum and dad cause they were a bit bigger! I will try and take a picture if I can get my O/H to lean out the car! :)

flowergirls
02-07-2008, 06:00 PM
There used to be hundreds on the big roundabout in the centre of Carlisle (it has subways, a fountain, grass, plants) but I didn't see any for the first few years after it was severely flooded in jan 2005 :cry:

Just this year have seen a few bunnies hanging around there again :)

Rachel x

LaLa
02-07-2008, 07:07 PM
I think we should all try and take a pic of our bunny roundabouts! Just make sure someone else is driving! :)

bunlover
02-07-2008, 07:18 PM
on facebook there is an apprichiation for the rabbits of the roundabout in gloucester its the walls roundabout where a whole warren or colony of rabbits live its loverly to see each day they must have a tunnel going under the road as it is extreamly rare to see any roadkill there unlike the country lanes nearby the road which it is on is the end of a busy dual carriage way and it really makes many peoples day to see them all so happy on it!!!!
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=2368819886 the eastern avenue roundabout thats the one! :)

ambers mummy
02-07-2008, 07:40 PM
no bunnies been seen here only in the woods

LaLa
02-07-2008, 08:11 PM
on facebook there is an apprichiation for the rabbits of the roundabout in gloucester its the walls roundabout where a whole warren or colony of rabbits live its loverly to see each day they must have a tunnel going under the road as it is extreamly rare to see any roadkill there unlike the country lanes nearby the road which it is on is the end of a busy dual carriage way and it really makes many peoples day to see them all so happy on it!!!!
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=2368819886 the eastern avenue roundabout thats the one! :)

How funny :lol:

I'll have to join. Just noticed your from Langley (know it well) I was born in Slough and lived at Iver Heath.

bunlover
02-07-2008, 08:12 PM
How funny :lol:

I'll have to join. Just noticed your from Langley (know it well) I was born in Slough and lived at Iver Heath.

where do you live these days? anywhere near? if yes should meet each others buns someday!!!
yes im in langley the roundabout is in gloucester where mum lives(where i used to live in case iv confused anyone!!!!)

LaLa
02-07-2008, 08:22 PM
where do you live these days? anywhere near? if yes should meet each others buns someday!!!
yes im in langley the roundabout is in gloucester where mum lives(where i used to live in case iv confused anyone!!!!)

No I don't live near now, I moved to Hertfordshire when I was about 4 and have now ended up near sunny Bournemouth! Must admit there doesn't seem to be many people near to me either on RU! My nan used to live in the big block of flats in Langley! I think they have knocked some down now! :D

I wil try and get piccies of the roundabout buns! :)

Justine
02-07-2008, 08:24 PM

I live in Gloucester and see Walls Roundabout all the time. I have seen about 40 rabbits on there a couple of times although most of the time, there are a lot less than that out grazing at a time. There are big bushes in the middle of the roundabout which they have their burrows. There are loads of tiny babies at the moment, although the adults are really small too.

My husband has been known to stop the car on the roundabout so he can guide a bunny back onto the roundabout from the road. :lol:

CazScho
02-07-2008, 08:34 PM
My husband has been known to stop the car on the roundabout so he can guide a bunny back onto the roundabout from the road. :lol:

Awwwwwwwwwwwwwww!!

OriginalFlintstone
02-07-2008, 09:37 PM
We have a roundabout on the way to Porton that has around 50 or more buns - aparantly they've dug a huge warren underneath a car-sales garage :shock: :lol: go bunny's go!

Ooh wheres that? I dont remember any roundabouts on the way to Porton?!