• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

how can i tell when she is in labour?

She will probably stop eating about 12 hours before she kindles. She will also make a nest, usually 24-48 hours before. Most Does kindle at night.

Have you removed the Buck ? She will be very fertile immediately after kindling and if the Buck is still with her he will impregnate her again.

Janex

im still here!!!:lol:seriously,does usually go quite quiet n you usualy know somethin is goin happen when she builds a nest.is she with the buck?x

Also might mention they tend to do it while you're out.
I've helped raise plenty of baby rabbits but I never got to witness a rabbit in labor...cept one time when I saw the female from behind.
When Aroma gave birth I simply came in one morning and saw her working on a nest, with little babies already out (I could see them from the opening of her nest box) when I came back a few hours later she'd buried them deep inside the box so they wouldn't get cold.

what sort of box is it i need to get? seriously this is all really new to me, as when snow white had bunnies we left her to it as she was doing really well and was an out door rabbit, this time im more paniced about it all i guess coz she is a house rabbit.

what sort of box is it i need to get? seriously this is all really new to me, as when snow white had bunnies we left her to it as she was doing really well and was an out door rabbit, this time im more paniced about it all i guess coz she is a house rabbit.

Any box that's big enough would be fine. Its not completely necessary if they live indoors, they can have their babies fine without a nest box, but it can make them feel more secure and keeps the babies from straying from the nest (that being said, I have experienced rabbits giving birth just outside the box:roll: We tried to put them in a box to keep them from roaming too soon but the mother didn't like that.

i thinks i might just leave her then, its not like its cold atm here, her nest looks extremly cosy. she is adding to the nest as i write right now, she is certsainly very busy atm, i just so wish we could have a chat n she tell me whats happening lol, bless.

I am sure someone has mentioned this already somewhere but DO NOT touch the babies or the nest when she does finally give birth.

I am sure someone has mentioned this already somewhere but DO NOT touch the babies or the nest when she does finally give birth.

While it is important to let the mother be in peace while giving birth it would be wise to check the nest later on, in case there are dead babies in the nest, as they could make it cold for the rest of them.
Sometimes the mother will eat or throw out dead kits, but not always. I found at least two babies buried deep under Aroma's nest. You can put your hand into the bedding to make sure your hands have the same scent as the mother, rabbits rarely injure their kits ONLY because humans touch them.
I know quite a few might disagree with me on this, but I've touched newborn rabbits plenty of times before (mind you, not when they are completely newborn, I usually wait for about a day, and don't "cuddle" newborn rabbits like I would an adult or an older kit, just to check on them) and even talked to breeders about it. I've yet to meet a serious breeder who tells me their rabbit eat her kits just because a human touched them. Most of them do in fact handle them from they are quite young, but if the mother is stressed it could be wise to take her out of the cage first, then just carefully peek into the nest and check that all babies are warm. (Cold=dead and should be removed)

thanks so much for all this info, i so cant wait now, i wish although this has been a shock that she will hurry along now coz i just cant wait to see them

Back