• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Tink has Enteritis/ E-Coli :(

Treacle44

Warren Scout
Went to fed the girls last night and noticed that Tink looked a bit dopey and was sitting with her feed in her water bowl, as I opened the cage she attempted to move and fell face first into it. :( As I picked her up she had the runs quite bad (which is rare for an adult rabbit apparently, didn't know that) I quickly rang the vets and rushed her straight down.

He injected 60 mls of fluid into her, gave her some anti b's and some Bio-Lapis (sp?) for me to syringe about 10 mls into her once she'd warmed up a bit. He said if she made it through the night she had a good chance. Well she's still with us and has perked upo a lot, took her back for more anti b's today and she's got to go back for next two mornings for more.

Hopefully she'll pull through although she isn't really eating much at the moment, is drinking though. I've given her hay, pellets and a cream cracker, she's turned her nose up at it all. She did have a bit of mashed banana earlier and another 50mls of the probiotic.

Anyone got any experience of this?

Porr baby.

x

She's slightly looser than normal but not diarrhea anymore. Vet adviced to let her have some some time in the sun on some drier patches of grass and she did have a munch on that so hopefully things are looking up. :)

He gave her two injections, one was anti b's, presume the other is pain relief? Not sure tbh. :oops:

x

I once had a suddenly explosively diorrehea (sp?) rabbit - he had managed to eat a pear that had dropped from the tree - A WHOLE pear!.

At present apple trees etc are dropping the small fruits that are too much for them to ripen - could she have got any of those? Esp the bird cherries and small apples?

PS in my case the runs quickly settled - but not before i had been dragged back from my cycling hols in the Pyrenees by bunny sitter!!!

i hope she does ok......the bio lapis is a probiotic, that will help to populate good bacteria......also make sure she has a low sugar diet (i.e. no fruit or carrots or "treats" like cream crackers :D:D:D) to try and stop the growth of bad bacteria. Stick to simple things like grass if she's eating that, pellets (maybe mashed up with a tiny bit of banana if she likes that to encourage her) & lots and lots of hay till it settles down. If she doesn't start eating properly within 24 hours though you'll need to take her back to the vets & get something like critical care to start syringing her.

We had a baby rabbit with this once . We fed her allen and page pellets , plenty of hay and that worked a charm . You could also try AV pro plus and entracare , there both great sources of probiotics. And also our vet recommended a wild plant called shepards purse its got like a heart shaped seed in the middle of it , i'd put a photo on but i,m rubbish at that. Hope you bun gets better . Our rabbit was 8 weeks old when she had this so i wouldn't worry:D:wave:

Thanks all. She hasn't got hold of any dropped fruit or anything so it can't be that. Oops I didn't realise that I shouldn't give a cracker, I was just so worried that she refused everything that I was desperate. :( Glad she didn't eat it now.

She's bright enough and I saw her nibbling some hay earlier and she is drinking so hope she'll be okay, but she's not eaten any pellets for over 24 hours now. Vet told me to make the Bio Lapis more concentrated which I did but could only get her to drink 10 mls of this from the syringe tonight. She's much more alert now though was sniffing about everywhere and trying to get off my lap to explore! :D

He also told me to try to collect some soft droppings and mix them with banana this morning, but couldn't find any so just gave her mashed banana which she had a tiny bit of.

Just hope she starts eating again soon, she doesn't seem ill except the lack of eating really. I hope she'll be okay.

x

Back