• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Missing Bunny

millivanilli

Young Bun
Hi,

This is my first post on here. I had to talk to someone who'd understand. My 6 month old lionhead doe has gone missing, and I'm completely gutted. She was in the garden yesterday with my three other bunnies, and when I went to bring them in when the rain started she was nowhere to be seen. I have two thoughts - the first is that she's been stolen (which to be honest I don't really see happening, she's a nightmare for us to catch nevermind a stranger), and the other is that she's managed to escape through our back fence. If it is the latter, then there isn't very far for her to go. Behind us is a strip of waste land which isn't very big but is really dense with weeds. Wer tried looking for her in there last night but it was impossible. We do have a hole in the fence that the cat uses to get through, but its a couple of feet off the ground and has never been an issue with the other bunnies. She's a really skitish wee thing and has only really started to trust us over the last couple of weeks. Is it true that rabbits can forget each other if they've been separated for more than a couple of hours? My initial instinct was that she would come back looking for her pals, but the longer its been the more I'm thinking that won't be the case. I've had rabbits for over 12 years, and I love them all dearly. I'm terrified that my own stupidity has resulted in me losing this wee soul :cry:

im so sorry youve lost your precious bunny :( have you tried putting up posters, ringing round local RSPCA or rescue centres, ring round local vets etc

i hope you find her x

im so sorry youve lost your precious bunny :( have you tried putting up posters, ringing round local RSPCA or rescue centres, ring round local vets etc

i hope you find her x

Thanks, I'm going to try putting leaflets through the neighbours doors asking them to look out for her. I feel so guilty because I don't even have a recent photo of her! What kind of mum am I????? I don't think she culd have gotten too far because that land is really enclosed. I'm going to have a rumage through the bushes in a minute.

good luck, chances are if she's anything like my little fe;lla she will have found something she likes the taste of and is happily sitting there munching through it all x good luck keep us updated x

oh no, I'm soo sorry. I hope she'll come back.

Don't give up... this thread Nettle might give you some hope. :)

:wave: Thank you for this, I've just done nothing but cry all morning, but this has made me feel so much better. I've tried putting my two older boys in the garden in the hope that she'll come back to them. I'm terrifed to put my younger boy out in case he tries to follow her. The dog and the cat love the bunnies and the cat could see something in the bushes earlier in a place I couldn't so I'm hoping it was her. Its just so difficult because the undergrowth is so dense and full of brambles that I have no chance of getting in.

Thank you for all your nice messages they've cheered me up a wee bit. :(

Gosh poor you, I really really hope you find her. A humane trap might be the answer. Also try and look at there at dawn or dusk as this is when bunnies are most active and you must see her hopping around. What surrounds the wasteland, is it other houses? Do you think she has got into another garden??

Best to knock and leave leaflets in ALL surrounding houses.

Very best of luck, please keep us posted! :cry:

i cant even imagine how you are feeling right now:cry:. i so hope the little one comes back - i have my fingers crossed for you. x

:wave: Don't give up hope! I never thought I was going to see Nettle again but didn't give up and then he turned up 4 days later I couldn't believe it! :D They are very good at sitting very still in undergrowth pretty much until you step on them so I'd keep checking the scrub land. Good luck!

:wave:Thank you Rachel, your story about Nettle has really given me hope. I've just been out and had another look, and I'm sure I can here a tiny bit of movement in the undergrowth. I'm just worried that I'm scaring her now, and as you say, I'm terrified of standing on her. She is really small!

I think the humane trap is definitely the way to go. Even if I do see her I'll have no chance of catching her in there!!!

Thank you everyone, you've been a big help xxx :love:

Don't give up hope!
Toffee has gone missing twice.
The first time a neighbour who wa feeding him left the hutch door open and the second was my dad.
I cried and cried and went searching everywhere, soon enough he came back because he got hungry! fat ****!

I've just looked for humane traps on eBay. There are some really nasty people out there :evil: How could anyone want to hurt a bun? :cry:

Well, after spending ages out looking for Willow last night, I finally went to bed after midnight and cried myself to sleep. Evrytime I close my eyes all I can see is her cheeky little face. :cry:

When I woke up this morning I felt a bit more positive. There is no other possible explanation for her dissapearance than escaping into the jungle behind us. I got back from my call at midday and had a wee scout around the garden, and put the furries out to play. I noticed that there are two more huge holes in the fence! where on earth have they come from? Over the winter when the jungle is a bit more tame, we can see the fence and patch it up accordingly (its an old wire fence that existed when the land was part of an old farm road). But the brambles have grown at such a rate on the otherside that we couldn't see it properly and they seem to have busrt through the wire. No wonder she escaped!!! I'm so annoyed because we are in the process of doing up the garden, and the next job on the list was panel fencing for that bit. Its really frustrating, we work so hard at rabbit proofing the garden so that they can get the full run of it, and over the past two years we've been in this house its never been a problem, and the rabbits have had a great life! I really don't want to have to permenantly restrict them to a run, but I don't know that I have any other choice now. I suppose my other choice is to fence off part of the garden as a 'rabbit garden' for the times that we are home and can keep an eye on them.

Anyway, back to Willow: as its obvious that she must be in the jungle, I've gone for the humane trap idea, and have now ordered one. I suppose it'll take a couple of days to arrive, but I'll keep you posted on the results.

Best do some work now, this forum is such a distraction! :love:

good luck and keep looking. and keep checking the garden incase she sneaks back in and sits in a bush or something.

Back