• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Help - Blood In Hutch

Rabbit1986

Alpha Buck
Went to give Rodney and Sophie their breakfast this morning and there is blood in the hutch, it wasn't fresh, it was dry and there wasn't alot of it, a few drops that seems to have been smeared about a bit. I checked them both over and both seem fine, all feet and claws in tact, no bald patches not bits of fur no scabs, i' guessing it may be rodney thats been bleeding because if it was sophie, with her being white, would it stain her fur?: They both tucked into their breakfast with the normal enthusiam, are both moving about fine, no limping etc, are still sat with each other and grooming eachother. I don't know what to do, do i do anything? I have checked them both all over and can't find any scabs or sore bits, i was just wondering if anyone has any advice. I'm at work at the mo but going to nip home on my dinner at 12 to check on them unless anyone thinks for any reason i should go sooner.

I would imagine if it's not from them it could be in their urine.
But i wouldn't be certain.
Will look out on this thread though.
We need Jane or Sooz :lol:

They should be OK if there wasn't a lot of blood.

I find combing the hair in the wrong direction with a fine tooth comb usually uncovers any scabs and scrapes.

Good luck

i don't think its urine, because they are both really good at using their litter tray and the litter trays are fine no blood or anything.
Will try fine tooth combing them, if there is a scab i would rather find it to keep an eye on it, will have to wait for OH to come home tonight, trying to hold rodney and comb rodney at the same time would be near on impossible, hes too wiggley.
Its possible they caught their claw, but all claws are intact i suppose they could have just pulled it.
I was wondering, can they bite their tougues? Mind you they might not be eating.
Sorry, went into a bit of a blind panic, and i'm now just making sure i cover all angles.

When Joey was getting used to laminate, I thought it was hilarious watching him skid about - til he skidded into the wall & cut his lip & tongue:oops: He was fine, & he only slowed his eating for one meal - he had porridge that day:roll::lol:

Calel tore a nail once & that bled quite a lot (had me in a real panic over where the blood came from). He's white & there wasn't a spot on him as he had washed his foot. I'd just keep checking them a couple of times a day. If you feel any lumps (possible abscess if cut gets infected) or if bun slows eating or appears hunched in pain, they will need a vet, pain relief & antibiotics, but Calel's & Joey's both cleared up straight away & with Calel's there was quite a lot of blood:shock:

Well have been to check on them at dinner and they are both fine, all the breakfast has been eaten. Will do a proper check of them both tonight when OH is there. But as long as i keep an eye on them both it should be ok right?

Back