• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Metacam Doseage Question

Vanessa.B

Mama Doe
I had Herbie at the vet's yesterday as he has been very grumpy (chasing with intent/fur pulling) and not as enthusiastic over his food over the last couple of days. I appreciate the change in behaviour may be psychological rather than physiological tho.

The vet has said there is a pronounced step on his molars, with an excess of saliva. Herbie did have his teeth burred in October last year. As we are away for a couple of days and then on holiday it is going to be a week before he has a dental so we have got some Metacam in the meantime. It is the dog strength 1.5mg/ml and the suggested doseage is 2 drops every 24 hrs.

So getting to the point :oops: can I split the dose every 12 hrs, is this likely to be more effective or better for Herb? He had two drops last night - and thankfully will take loaded on a raisin.
Thank you,
Vanessa xx

Last edited:
Hi,every time I have used metecam for my buns Ive always given it once daily.Maybe it would be worth ringing your vet and asking if its ok to give twice daily.Im sorry I havent been a lot of help.

I always halve the dose and give it every 12 hours. Seems to work better that way.

Some of you may know about my Maisie who had her ears cleaned and then stopped eating because of the pain, well when we got her back from having her ears done she was having 12 drops in the morning and 12 drops at night, but when she didn't eat it was put up to 20 drops in the morning and 20 at night, so don't worry if you give a bit to much it won't hurt.

Some of you may know about my Maisie who had her ears cleaned and then stopped eating because of the pain, well when we got her back from having her ears done she was having 12 drops in the morning and 12 drops at night, but when she didn't eat it was put up to 20 drops in the morning and 20 at night, so don't worry if you give a bit to much it won't hurt.

goodness this sounds a high dose? but im glad she is ok i think that metacam is hard to overdose if you give a little too much but it should be used in consideration due to the effects long term or high doses can have on kidney function...i think the original poster should just quickly check with a vet its ok but i cant imagine why you cant do half and half unless there needs time between(ie like paracetamol you need to leave the gap)

Back