• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

introducing new bun

craig

New Kit
i have a spayed female bun age 1 year ish i have seen a male un-neutered bun in a pah adoption centre not sure on age but fully grown have been looking for a friend for my girl what do you guys think i would get him neutered my bun lives in the kitchen would it be better to keep him in a cage in the kitchen so they can see each other or keep them separate until hes recovered and put them together then im not sure on what is the best method of introducing buns any help would be really appreciated :wave:

Hi Craig

I would say that neutral territory is most important so if your girl usually has the kitchen to herself you need to do the bonding somewhere else (somewhere she doesn't have access to normally).

If you have never done bonding before then there are loads of threads about bonding if you do a forum search. :D
http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/search.php?searchid=1098457

If you live near a rescue it might be an idea to go to them instead as some will offer a bonding service.

Good Luck

Maria x

I think it would be best to keep them separate until he's been neutered. Then it might be worth keeping them in separate cages but near each other so they can get used to each other.

Have just had a very similar situation.

My spayed female Tilly met new boy Barney in the kitchen and in 30 seconds he had mounted her!! She looked a bit worried so we let them into the garden where he can't catch her unless she lets him.

Within 30 mins of chasing, sniffing and touching noses they were best buds! They are only together in the garden at the moment where we know Tilly can avoid pestering if she chooses (although she seems to be giving him the come on....!)

Barney booked in to be neutered next week then couple of weeks later we hope they will be able to live together. The vet says he may never totally stop trying to mount her but in his opinion she was unlikely to be upset by this and a spayed female and neutered male should be a good match

well been to pick up thumper hes a little charmer he seems to have charmed the pants off my little girl already:lol: i underestimated how much of there nose they could squeeze through the bars cos when i came back in the room they was licking each others nose and cheeks:love: i pulled them apart slightly so they couldnt reach anymore just cos i dont want to risk one being bitten but i hope its a good omen booked him into vets for fri for neutering and his myxi and having her myxi done again 2 there just having a rest at the moment but so far so good:D

Back