• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Dark orange wee

Indiechic

Wise Old Thumper
Marsha and Casper are fed on hay, afew pellets, a small amount of redigrass and a tiny bit of veg everyday - usually green - occassionally banana.

I have noticed Casper's wee is very dark orange.. its not red but its not normal. The Reason i think its casper is that its only since he has been at ours.

I have checked thier private areas and they are both clean...

what could it be?

Both are neutered.

Hiya hon, according to this website it is normal to find different colours of bunny wee: http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/urinary.html

"Normal rabbit urine is usually pale yellow in color, but upon exposure to the atmosphere, compounds in the urine may oxidize to darker yellow, orange, red, or even dark brown. This isn't unusual, and--by itself--is not necessarily a sign of a health problem. Blood in the urine, unless it is from a hemorraghing uterus or very serious problem, is usually not readily visible to the naked eye. Test strips are available at most pharmacies that will tell you whether there is blood in the urine or not, but your vet is the best judge of whether your bunny's urine is normal."

If it's very dark it could be dehydration?

Oh - just found that carrots, spinach or other veggies containing beta carotene can cause orange/red urine

Last edited:
no its not always like that but its not as light as marshas. it varies from orange to dark orange.

thanks anna, i shall check that out x

fudge has orange coloured widdle....but for him it is normal...unless he is showing signs of being under the weather i know its nothing to worry about..

they both are fine... so im not too worried.

i will take casper to vets soon for his jabberoonies so i shall ask then x

Back