• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

back from the vets, its not mites its

:wave: hiya.

just got back from the vets cause i thought my shauny had mites.

its not mites its either ringworm:shock:, or an allergic reaction:shock:.

my vet is testin for ringworm but that takes 3 weeks- how would my boy have picked up ringworm?. he doesnt go outside yet.

and the allergic reaction, jason (the vet) asked if he had many treats (he only has fibre sticks) and the rest is veg. im gonna stop the fibre sticks although i gave him one this morning:roll:.

anyone else come across this?.
x

Ringworm is contagious to/from people, have you had any odd scabby bits on your hands or has anyone else handled him?

I'd suggest wearing an apron and thoroughly washing hands after handling him until you get the all clear so you don't catch it from him :D

Tam

Ringworm is contagious to/from people, have you had any odd scabby bits on your hands or has anyone else handled him?

I'd suggest wearing an apron and thoroughly washing hands after handling him until you get the all clear so you don't catch it from him :D

Tam

ive noticed it for bout 3 months but just thought it was dandruff, and then walkin dandruff.

im all over him most of the time:love: would i not have caught it by now?.

i have nothin on my hands that looks susp. we sleep in the same room as him and my o/h is clear aswell (first thing we checked, was our bods:). ive nursed people who have had ringworm a few yrs ago.

but he also mentioned allergies?. but all he has is hayx4 types, vegs (spring greens, carrot 1 a week, and the fibre stick)

anymore advice would be brill thankyou, im quite worried now i typed ringworm in rabbits and the first site i came to said destroy them:shock::(.
x

There's some ringworm info links here: http://homepage.mac.com/mattocks/morfz/rabrefs.html#fungus

How did the vet determine it wasn't mites?

Ringworm is kinda scabby patches were as dandruff sounds more like mites.

I'd be surprised if it was allergy. Do you use any cleaning products in the cage/area he accesses regularly?

thankyou for gettin back to me. im worryin x

i asked if it was mites, but he said his coat is clear (its only on the top of his ears) and its to symetrical (sorry bout spellin:oops:). he said its either ringworm or an allergy (he also asked if hed been in the garden/or in the sun).
do you think i would have it by now?
x

Ahh, sorry, I thought it was all over :)

I'm guessing asking about the sun could be because white cats can get skin cancer in the tips of their ears - I guess a rabbit could too though I've never heard of it happening.

He doesn't have any scabby bits on his boy bits does he :oops: Or on his nose? The other thing that can cause skin problems is syphilis/vents disease. It's usually on the nose/face not ear tips though.

It's very odd really as you'd expect it to transfer a bit more if he's had it awhile or if it was an allergy to be a bit more widespread.

I guess you don't touch the very tips of a buns ears that often compared to their nose or back. I guess if you wash your hands regularly to then you might avoid catching it.

I wouldn't worry too much, obviously it's something that needs getting to the bottom of but it's not likely to be anything particularly serious if it's just his ear tips :)

3 weeks for a test result? i thought ringworm glowed when exposed to uv (i believe there is one strain that dosn't but is rare) meaning that the vet should have been able to take a skin scaping and told you the rfesults there and then.:?

...'It's very odd really as you'd expect it to transfer a bit more if he's had it awhile or if it was an allergy to be a bit more widespread'....

is it on both ears?

Ahh, sorry, I thought it was all over :)

I'm guessing asking about the sun could be because white cats can get skin cancer in the tips of their ears - I guess a rabbit could too though I've never heard of it happening.

He doesn't have any scabby bits on his boy bits does he :oops: Or on his nose? The other thing that can cause skin problems is syphilis/vents disease. It's usually on the nose/face not ear tips though.

It's very odd really as you'd expect it to transfer a bit more if he's had it awhile or if it was an allergy to be a bit more widespread.

I guess you don't touch the very tips of a buns ears that often compared to their nose or back. I guess if you wash your hands regularly to then you might avoid catching it.

I wouldn't worry too much, obviously it's something that needs getting to the bottom of but it's not likely to be anything particularly serious if it's just his ear tips :)

:wave: hiya. no scabby bits any where on his lil bod, just flakey skin on the top of his ears:cry:..

what is the treatment if it is ringworm, and should we just have started it just in case it is that (im just thinkin 3 weeks is a while to wait).
x

3 weeks for a test result? i thought ringworm glowed when exposed to uv (i believe there is one strain that dosn't but is rare) meaning that the vet should have been able to take a skin scaping and told you the rfesults there and then.:?

...'It's very odd really as you'd expect it to transfer a bit more if he's had it awhile or if it was an allergy to be a bit more widespread'....

is it on both ears?

:wave:. didnt even know they could get ringworm:shock:.

3 weeks is along time to wait, i thought it would only be a couple of days.

yep he has it on both ears, i feel really sorry for my little man.
x

personally i honestly think its not ring worm with ring worm you would definatly see scabs within about 24-48 hours of it appearing and yes the likelihood is it would ahve spread tho this is not always the case. humans can get it if it is so wash your arms/hands after touching it. ring worm is a fungal type of problem rather than an actual worm so he hasnt got worms as such yes i too thought that a quick uv test would determine ringworm tho i am no expert.... also the syptoms...dandruffy sounds like normal skin mites to me...do you think it might be worth going to a different vet for a second opinion? i think its mites in which case i believe it would be ivermetican(sp?) that they give sorry i dont know what treatment if its ring worm. hope all ok...also rabbits are most likely to get mites in or around ears as i beleive(trys to think back to when a bridge bun was still alive and had it...it is a particular type of mites which they have all the time but only become a problem and present the dandruff style if they become overactive and reproduce more than normal i think this is also cured by injection/drops.... if this is the case some scabby bits could be found if bun has scratched and caused small cuts which have healed.

we had a guinea pig that can in with dry scaly bits on his ears ... it turned out to be a fungal infection .( not ringworm )

i wonder if this could be the same

we had a guinea pig that can in with dry scaly bits on his ears ... it turned out to be a fungal infection .( not ringworm )

i wonder if this could be the same

hiya:). how did ur vets test for that, did they think it was ringworm at first?.
its like hes got really bad dandruff, i take it out of his fur. and when i part the skin its scaley (im sure i could ''pick'' it off, but not going to).
x

personally i honestly think its not ring worm with ring worm you would definatly see scabs within about 24-48 hours of it appearing and yes the likelihood is it would ahve spread tho this is not always the case. humans can get it if it is so wash your arms/hands after touching it. ring worm is a fungal type of problem rather than an actual worm so he hasnt got worms as such yes i too thought that a quick uv test would determine ringworm tho i am no expert.... also the syptoms...dandruffy sounds like normal skin mites to me...do you think it might be worth going to a different vet for a second opinion? i think its mites in which case i believe it would be ivermetican(sp?) that they give sorry i dont know what treatment if its ring worm. hope all ok...also rabbits are most likely to get mites in or around ears as i beleive(trys to think back to when a bridge bun was still alive and had it...it is a particular type of mites which they have all the time but only become a problem and present the dandruff style if they become overactive and reproduce more than normal i think this is also cured by injection/drops.... if this is the case some scabby bits could be found if bun has scratched and caused small cuts which have healed.

hiya:) blimey they are such a worry.
i really did think mites, but now im really confused (and worried). i said that to my vet but he checked his bod over and said his skin and fur is perfect (apart from his ears:cry:.

he also said that it was to symetrical to be mites (it was exacly the same on both ears, size, shape, place and the way it looked).

x

ringworm

Hi there. I asked a few days ago about ringworm too. I had bought a baby from a breeder a fortnight ago - which had I known how dirty it was before we started the long journey to pick him up - I would not have even contemplated buying him. She told us we could only have him as the others were spoken for, which was untrue because she updated the preloved advert and she knew which one he was because he had a patch on his side, which she said the vet had checked and said it was caused by lying next to his water bottle. When we got him home we found a spot on his ear. Took him to vets who thought it was mites, but it got worse. Took him back and another vet suspected ringworm. It didn't glow under the Woods lamp and the culture has only just started to change colour after over a week. I had emailed breeder who said she was sorry, but she had been trying to contact me (no messages left on phone funny enough). Her daughter had been diagnosed with ringworm and the one who was left out of the litter had it and she was treating her cats. She was annoyed with her vet, although it is not easily diagnosed as it is uncommon in rabbits. My vets have been marvellous although it is costing me a small fortune. I think it has been a learning curve for them too - they have never seen it in a rabbit before!Breeder has been no help at all, although we believe she knew he had something when she sold him to us and ringworm thrives in warm, damp conditions. Her hutches were small, dirty and in a dark, warm shed with dozens of rabbits. Yes, I know I was stupid for taking him, but I never thought there would be such a problem. She was so intent on telling us how her vet had checked him over and he was healthy! I contacted the BRC as she shows her rabbits and I thought they would be concerned, but unless I gave my personal details, which I did not want her to have access to, they won't do anything. The RSPCA asked if I could go round and monitor the situation and said if she is treating the animals, there is nothing they can do. My vet used to work for the RSPCA and he said they would put them down if they had ringworm!! She did offer to take him back and treat him, but there is no way I would send him back as he had already been in direct contact with two of my others who have got it too. It started off as spots, but does go scabby, which has to be picked off. Rupert's ears are now practically bald! His side is not so bad, but we were told to shave the hair off to expose scabby bit underneath. I was given Hibiscrub to wash in after touching them, Verkon to wash cages and surrounding areas, put clothes in a bag or wash straight away. We started off by washing in Malaseb, which Rupert, the baby, hated. My son, who is a vet nurse, brought home some Povodone Iodine to put on. He has been told not to go near them as he may pass it on at work! We are now treating them with Intrafungol at £40 per bottle! I shall probably be using another two bottles of this! It is an oral medication for cats, but can be used in rabbits. Unfortunately, one of the affected ones, Albert, who also came from a breeder at 1year old and will not tolerate being picked up, went berserk when we tried to give it to him, so he is still having Malaseb washes. As you can imagine, I am very angry about it, as not only is it expensive, extremely time consuming with cleaning process and washing clothes, the poor rabbits are suffering. The treatment has to be continued long after the signs have gone and the spores can stay in environment for two years (one vet book said 5 years!) I believe her cats may have transmitted it to the rabbits as she had nine wandering around, but the most susceptible animals are young, immuno compromised or stressed.

Sorry it's long winded, but thought you would want to know the lengths you have to go to get rid of it - hopefully!! I can't imagine the breeder concerned is doing anything like this. She said she is putting "cream on his chin!"

I do hope you are lucky and it is not ringworm. I know they can catch it off of other animals and humans, and vice versa, but I know he would be living in clean conditions, so hopefully you'll be o.k. Take care.

Last edited:
:wave: hiya thankyou for gettin back to me.

im really worried bout him:cry:.

ive had him bout a yr, and its only over the last few months ive noticed it. hes a house bunny and has free roam of our room, and on the landing and our other room, im always smoothin him and sleepin by him do you think id have it?.

i know is really spreadable, so i cant help thinking id have it by now if it was ringworm?.

was it just on ur buns ears, or all over their body?.
x

Ringworm *is* a fungal infection, and you can test for it under UV light or Wood's lamp.. I really don't understand why it would take 3 weeks to test for it.. It's very easily treated but it doesn't sound like it to me....

Ringworm *is* a fungal infection, and you can test for it under UV light or Wood's lamp.. I really don't understand why it would take 3 weeks to test for it.. It's very easily treated but it doesn't sound like it to me....

:wave.

my vet plucked a bit of fur off his ear, and then scraped his flakey skin into a pot.

do you have any thoughts on what it could be?.

i keep checkin myself for ringworm but i have no signs.
x

Back