• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Wires...?

Oompa-Loompa

Warren Veteran
I've read several times that wires are very likely to kill rabbits if they chew them. However,Boris has done this several times and it never hurt him.
I'm feeling confused here.:?

It depends if the appliance is on at the time. If a bunny chews through a live wire it is likely to get electrocuted although this doesn't always kill them.

when we first got a bun or two we went through 3 phones in 6 months:lol:
now we have a wireless! you can get cable covers for wires that have to be around buns..i think they are in argos or woolworths type places and quite cheap?!

even if he dosn't kill himself leaving exposed wires on a hoover cable for example is going to give YOU a shock in more ways then one.;)

i would try to ensure all cables are out of rabbit reach or covered. for his safety as well your own.

Live power cables are very dangerous, you should protect them (I suggest with hosepipe). He could bite through one and not get a shock, but it's down to luck whether the live part of the cables touches his flesh or not.

Things like phone lines aren't going to hurt him, but you'll soon get fed up with him bitting them :)

Yeah, a friend of my mum's covered their wires to protect their bunny and apparently it worked very well. Boris doesn't chew them as much anymore but it happens occasionally and I'm worried about him.

Haha I know what you mean about the phone wires...I really do..;)

Last edited:
Honey chewed my broadband wire clean in half which is currently been held together with tape:roll:, plus speaker wires, luckily none of which were the power wires, maybe the thinner wires are less work for him:lol:.
Its a good idea to try and cover them if you can, I wouldn't really want to test whether it would be harmful.

it depends on the voltage of the appliance and if it is on or not......mine have a passion for mobile phones.....chewed right through but were fine as it is low voltage.....if they chewed through the cable on an heater when on though....that would be a very different matter.

I've read several times that wires are very likely to kill rabbits if they chew them. However,Boris has done this several times and it never hurt him.

Boris is very lucky to have 'chosen' the right wires then. You cant be sure he'll always be so lucky.

Muppet chewed through the TV power cable last summer :shock: I didnt even realise he'd done it, til I noticed he was hiding in the garden and didnt want to come back in the house - obviously it hurt him and possibly he was luckily it didnt do more.

Back