• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit Indoor Cages

honeyxebony

Young Bun
Hi, i am interested in getting a rabbit but have no idea what a suitable cage would be, how big should it be, and what cages do you like?
I am completly new to indoor rabbits, i use to have rabbits as a kid but they were always outside.
Thanks

Like this
000_0735.jpg

Hello :wave: if you do a search for indoor setups you might find some helpful ideas. I did use the 48' dog crate but got sick of it so mine eventually (after a lot of bunny proofing and effort) went free range in one room. My other single bunny is in a pen made from the storage cubes you can get from B&Q which was workig very well but the trixy hobit has worked out how to open it. :roll:

This looks like a good thread :D
http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=130448&highlight=indoor+setups

I had a 48" dog crate with a playpen attached to it when i first got simba and nala. Now i have Fifi aswell and moved house so they now have the whole of my spare bedroom :D

That all sounds great, but i dont have a spare room (im jelous lol) and i dont have enough space to put a dog crate, i was thinking of something i could put on my chester draws,

Well it also depends on what kind of rabbit you are planning on getting. A bigger rabbit will require more space while a smaller one could do with less space. I keep my Boris in a plain rabbit cage since we don't have any spare room for a dog cage,but then again,he is small and he gets plenty of exercise.

Edit: His cage looks something like this:
6gzs0i.jpg

Last edited:
aah a nero cage......

.try the next one up in pets at home..its called a nero 4.
http://www.petsathome.com/find/category-is-6+small+pets/category-is-6C+Cages/product-is-16909

forgive me if im wrong but thats a 3 right? thats what i had for my mini lop years ago til i got him a dog crate..he missed his cage soo much.

i have just got a hutch for my little ones in the lounge..a thistle hall one!!

in your bedroom id opt for the cage idea as its easier to keep clean than dog crates....ive tried that too! but its essential that bunny gets 5 hours exercise a day minimum so free running round your room when your there even if its an hour or two followed by a few hours before bed or if you watch tv in bed etc.
:wave:
its not ideal but its the best you can do on limited space.

looks very much like a ferplast cage!
be careful my mum has the ferplast 100 very sim to this cage...and its very low down..not much head room and theres no other opening apart from the whole door front!

i have something similar to this..ipaid £29.99 in jollyes pet shop about two years ago..no hold on wilwos not two till dec! ok i got it when she was 3 months old..do the math im too thick:lol:

here its about the same length but higher and a bit wider i think..

ok now i cant find the bloomin link!!

dont get the cheapest as the cheapest is the dearest in the long run!

this is the best i saw acees wise
http://www.rabbit-supply-store.co.uk/proddetail.php?prod=596713

or to see the height diff check out the mid piccie to the bottom

http://www.petsintown.co.uk/search_results.asp?section=172

if i find thatlink for the one the isze i had for £29.99 i will pm you!
but i had a dwarf lop and its what mum has got and shes only 6 months old and cant stand up in her cage..and can just about stretch out..good job shes free range so many hours a a day! dont think cos theyre dwarf theyre tiny..if you want tiny then go for a nethie but then they love to zip around so make up for it!

Thanks, they are both great cages, and your right, the cheapest is the more expensive :D
I have never had an indoor rabbit so this is completely new, im hopeless lol
I will keep searching for more cage :D

Thanks, they are both great cages, and your right, the cheapest is the more expensive :D
I have never had an indoor rabbit so this is completely new, im hopeless lol
I will keep searching for more cage :D

That cage is too small for rabbits:? more a 1 piggie sized cage

I'm going to be blunt here - If the only space you have to put a rabbit is on top of a chest of drawers then I don't believe a rabbit is the pet for you as there aren't many cages that will fit a chest of drawers, not one that has enough space anyway.

A cage should be about 3 times the length of the bun (approx) and high enough for the bun to stand upright. I believe that cage wise, a large dog crate is best, from 42" onwards.

But I have seen a few decent cages online, though not any that will fit on a chest of drawers as I said. Please look around and see if there's anywhere else that you can place a cage, even if it means moving a few things around.

Please bear in mind that it's in your rabbit's best interest that you get them neutured/spayed and then get them a friend as rabbits are social animals and thrive with their own kind. Therefore you'd need to invest in a larger cage anyway, even if you were to get a smaller one at first.

Make sure there is plenty of room for them to get exercise everyday too. Where would they be able to do so?

Bunnies also cost ALOT each month though they are believed to be rather cheap to look after. I end up having to spend about £80 a month on food, hay, litter, wood chews, etc. As well as vaccinations and vet check ups.

This website has a few decent cages. Please bear in mind that you WILL need to pay a lot for a decent cage, don't settle for a small one because it's cheaper.

http://www.vagavalley.co.uk/bunnysupplies/indoorcages.htm

My favourites are -
De-Luxe Bunny Chalet
Super Chalet

You can also use pens which are great and very roomy, just make sure to get something to cover the top such as mesh as some bunnies jump out with ease.

http://www.vagavalley.co.uk/bunnysupplies/playpen.htm

I recommend the Leisure Play Pen.

This is Tango's, got it from Jollyes think it cost about £50. He's only in in when we are not home.
PICT0091a.jpg

Tango likes to be able to hop in and out as he pleases when he's out so the cage is on the floor. It may be difficult for your rabbit to do this if it is o top of drawers.

Boris is in his cage during the day for two reasons: One,we can't watch him all the time,especially if we're not home lol, and two: He isn't actually very active during the day and seems perfectly comfy in his cage. I usually let him out at about 5 pm (when he starts to get more active) and put him back him in about 10-11 pm. I do worry about him not getting enough exercise but he appears to be fine,he's normal weight and he seems healthy and happy. (although I know he would be even happier with a companion,I'm currently trying to persuade my mum lol)

Back