• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

one of my boarders have given birth.

jesska

Alpha Buck
well i was so shocked this morning. :shock: i had in three rabbit for boarding. two neutured male and one female all brother and sister living seperatly and i woke up this morning putting them all in there runs. picked up the female and she was full of milk. :shock: so i guess by this point i guessed she has babies. iv just picked out a dead one. but i cant really see but the rest look healthy. but the mother only four months and she didnt look pregnant what so ever. anyways its a first with babies so if you have any tips it be so helpful. i know not to touch them. and have removed the dead one. she got extra bedding and lots of veg and dried food. oh gosh still in shock :shock:

What a shock! Do the owners know yet?
Haven't got any experience with baby buns but am hoping someone who knows their stuff on this subject will be along soon with advice.

yeah there mum is on holiday.well she in england so im going to get intouch with her and let her know. any advise please :wave:

:wave: plenty of green veg for mum - spring greens and brocolli is partic good (helps with milk production) Lots of water she will be very thirsty. Pellets, not sure what she is on but Excell Junior & Dwarf is the best for lactating does and babies will naturally wean onto it.... good luck !

This happened to me early this year despite the owners telling me the rabbits hadn't been together at all :?

I am not sure how long they are boarding for, but I would be very reluctant to move the babies and mum for a few weeks yet. I kept mine here until they were old enough to be weaned and rehomed them myself. I know they weren't my rabbits but their owner was not responsible enough to keep them seperate so I wasn't handing over babies to them. They were ok about it as it meant they didn't have to worry about finding them homes :? I know your situation is probably very different but I would still wait until the babies have left the nest before moving them.

junior and dwarf excel should be given ad lib too....

yeah they are on junior and dwarf excel anyways as they are still young anyways. yeah iv spoken with my vets and she said they should stay put until they start leaving the nest. iv spoken with the bunnies family and she does mind them staying until there ready to leave. and i will have a word about rehoming when she gets back though. my vet said put a brick next to there bedroom so babies cant get out. specially if there been feeding and mother moves away and there still attach to keep them in. and just keep checking on them. they are also interbreed( brothers and sisters) so will this cause any problems with the babies at all?

The babies I had were from same litter parents, but as I have no idea about their lineage I have no idea how prone they may be to congenital issues....no more than any other shop bought bunny I guess :) The majority of rabbits are interbred to some extent.
It will be very hard for you to let them go back to their owners. I found it a very stressful experience and wouldn't rehome to people unless I was sure they were going to have the best home. In the end two went to my sister, two to a friend of hers (they have an amazing home) and two to a member on here!! I took them up to Glasgow because I knew they would have a fantastic home there and it was worth the 3 hour drive.

Obviously the rehoming issue will probably be out of your hands....I just hope the owners don't get to caught up with the cuteness factor and end up keeping them for the same thing to happen again!

i hope that it wont cause them any problems been interbreed. yeah i will speak to them about rehoming and i guess all i can say is im here if your needing anyone to help in rehoming if your not keeping them. its the first having baby bunnies so its all scary but im just trying to read lots of information as possible just dont want them to die on me :shock:

there only away for a week, but we have talk and she is ok letting them stay with me for another week to let them grow a little more :)

there only away for a week, but we have talk and she is ok letting them stay with me for another week to let them grow a little more :)

they really need to stay with you three weeks at least before moving them. 1 week, plus one extra week wont be enough. xxxx

Back