• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Advice please

milly100

Alpha Buck
Hi,
Im hoping that some people may be able to give me a few suggestions about my current situation. Here goes, about 2 months ago we rescued a lovely male lionhead rabbit who we have had neutered. The plan was that he was going to be bonded with my female who had lost her companion and they were going to be kept as house rabbits as my female has always been one. Well my new rabbit doesnt like being in the house at all. He loves it when he goes out into his run adn hates being brought in even in the heavy rain. So we have come to the conclusion he is better suited to being outside. So Im starting to think that maybe it would be best if you lived as an outdoor bunny. I have a 6 foot by 4 foot run at the moment and I was wondering what the best way would be to turn it into a hutch/run combo?? Any suggestions would be great. It would have to relatively cheep to do as my oh would have a fir if I spent too much as we bought a huge dog crate when we got the new addition.
Any suggestions would be brilliant.

build a hutch and put it on top of the run with a ramp leading down. wood in wikes isnt too expensive and the roof will need to be felted.

I think some buns are just better suited outside, not all are cut out to be indoors. I have three that wouldn't do well indoors and love being out in the garden. My house bunnies hate going outside!

Are you going to keep him on his own though?

He is definately more suited to being outside. Him and my little girl get on fine but shes a house rabbit so Im not sure if it would be fair to but her outside permently. She likes going out through the day though. So the plan is to let them play together in the day and just sleep seperately at night

i hope that works for you but i think it will be difficult to do as they will each then class part ie house or garden as their territory and you may get fighting occour... i think best options are either a get ehm both an adopted rescue freind or b put indoor bun out with him.

Yeah, I think if they are to be bonded at all it should be 24/7 or it's not really fair on either of them.

I think bunnies are fine on their own when in the house but I always feel guilty if I have a single bun outside :oops:

ETA Milly I did post some pics of those hutches in your other thread....eventually :oops:

Yeah, I think if they are to be bonded at all it should be 24/7 or it's not really fair on either of them.

I think bunnies are fine on their own when in the house but I always feel guilty if I have a single bun outside :oops:

ETA Milly I did post some pics of those hutches in your other thread....eventually :oops:

Hi, I got the pics thanks. It looks like the guinea pigs are staying inside for the moment untill I get the rabbit situation sorted!! Theres always something with my lot!!!

:wave: if you bond them then it is not fair to separate them and night. But they will also be happiest with company I have house bunnies at the moment and am in the process of moving them outside - you girl would prob love it. New boyfriend and lots to look at and do - and this is the time to do it as is not cold so she will gradually grow a winter coat as it gets colder.

Ill have to give it some thought as to moving my little girl outside. It would be very strange not having a bunnies running round the house and falling over the top of them!! We are going to our local garden centre tomorrow and my oh has suggested seeing what rabbit hutches/runs they have!!! Ive seen a few on ebay that arent bad priced. I really want as big as poss so what sort of size should I be looking at???

Back