• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Neutering females - is it essential?

alx008

Warren Scout
Do you have your females operated, it seems like a big and dangerous operation for a small animal. I have 2 twelve week old sisters at the moment.

It's not massivley desperate while they are young and as long as you are not introducing a male rabbit into the equation! However, as they get older and hormones start to play a part they might start to fight and be aggressive with each other. Also as female rabbits get older there is a higher chance of cancer in unspeyed females. My advice just for piece of mind to get them done. All mine are. Hope this is useful!

:wave:

Yes thanks, I had read about the uterine cancer which would be my main worry if I left them as they are.
Perhaps I will see how they get on as they get older, they have plenty of space so are not on top of each other at all.
I read a website which mentioned the risk of them dying on the operating table which would be heart breaking!

Neutering your Does once they reach sexual maturity will benefit them greatly by protecting them from Uterine infections and cancer. It will also mean a better quality of life as they wont be ruled by hormone surges which can lead to aggression and phantom pregnancies.

Finding a Rabbit savvy Vet ( one who does lots of Bunny ops' ) means that the risks of surgery will be microscopic compared to the risks of the Doe developing UC.

http://www.houserabbit.co.uk/resources/content/info-sheets/uterine.htm

Janex

Last edited:
I did lose one foster bun under GA when she went to be spayed - but I have had many, many more done successfully. You can get the vet to do bloods before the op to make sure there are no issues that can cause a prob under GA. I'd still get it done everytime - the uterine cancer risks are high & so is the risk of fighting when the reach sexual maturity:D

I would suggest you do get them neutered. The heartbreak of losing a much loved bun to uterine cancer is made all the worse when you then find out that you could have prevented it. My first ever bunny died of uterine cancer because I didn't have the knowledge that I do now, and I was heartbroken, guilty, angry etc - don't do it to yourself. As others have said, the risk of cancer is far higher than losing your bun(s) on the operating table. Get yourself a good rabbit vet who's done lots of bunny speys and the risk is greatly reduced. I also think that two unspeyed does will get very hormonal and will possibly scrap once they reach sexual maturity.

I had my 17 week old bunnies done on Friday (Male and Female) and they were fine. Strangely enough Charlotte did really well and was her normal self a few hours later and it took Oscar a good 48 hours to feel a bit better.
I wouldn't hesitate to do it again.

I kept two females from the same litter together. They started fighting at around 10 months, so I would get them done before then to avoid the problems :?

i read somewhere that its a 90 % chance of uterine cancer not to mention the very stressful phantom pregnancies.we had 2 sisters, put them in for spaying on the same day, one died and we didnt want to risk the other one.
then she started acting pregnant by making a nest ,pulling out her dewlap fur, getting aggressive to us,etc so we got her spayed because she was making herself so ill doing this..the only female we didnt spay was a french lop who wasnt bonded, and had recurrent abscesses so we didnt want to risk spaying her when she already had been through operations so many other times.
if you keep 2 unspayed females together (or only spay one) they WILL fight eventually and really hurt each other.its not worth the risk in my eyes....

Back