• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Please help! Any advice welcome.

lulu33098

Young Bun
Hello
I'm new on here today but would welcome any advice given.

I have a bunny called Midnight. He's a black lionhead/lop and 2years old. He lives outside in a large double hutch with a run attached which is on our patio. He goes into a run on the grass at least 3 times a week.

I came home a few weeks ago to find blood everywhere. I got him out and searched everywhere but could find no wounds. I cleaned up and this happened a week later. I found a very small wound on back of his back foot. I took him to the vet and she said that because it was not bleeding that we should not do anything as nature is the best healer. Anyway This keeps happening and yesterday I came home to find more blood than usual and I picked him up and found a new wound which looked quite bad, I ran his foot under the tap to clean away the old blood so that I could see where it was coming from and then I sat him on my lap on a towel so that I could tell if it was still bleeding but it stopped after a few minutes.

:O( I'm worried that if he is losing blood every week like this it's not good for him.

Why does he keep bleeding? I don't know how he is cutting himself.
I have checked the hutch inch by inch. I've sanded down the chewed bits on the ladder. I even kept him in the huch for 2 days but found blood in the hutch one morning. The only thing I can think of is that originally he cut himself on the ladder and now they bleed when he thumps? There are 3 wounds in total. There is one on each of what would be our elbow but his back feet these are tiny and well heeled and then one nearer the foot slightly bigger but difficult to see through the fur.

We have had mice but not for a week or two and they love his food. I catch them and let them go at work (not in the office but on the farm nearby).

Anyway sorry it's such a long thread... If you have any ideas I'd be grateful to hear them. I have spoken to the vet and I have contacted the rspca. I have to empty the hutch each time and scrub it and this is once or twice a week at the mo.

P.S He is as happy as ever and eating and drinking normally. I have bought extra vitamins for him also.

you could bathe with some slaty water if it's still bleeding but otherwise like your vet said it is best to leave alone........

Does he have quite bare feet (i.e. is it sore hocks or is it an actual cut?)

How sharp is your hay? I got some really nasty stuff as a gift once and sooty nearly poked his eye out with it, it was very hard and sharp....I cam back to find he had impaled himself

Is there any possibility that even though you haven't seen them for a while, mice could be getting in and nipping him?

sounds like the fur has worn away and he has sore hocks... i would wrap a baby sock and a small bandage around the foot to stop infections and give him a lot of thick soft hay as bedding....see how this goes fora week or so and let him onto grass but not the patio...if you see an improvement it could be sore hocks ...raven rexes has a good cream she mentioned ages back which really helps with this problem if that is what it is.

you could bathe with some slaty water if it's still bleeding but otherwise like your vet said it is best to leave alone........

Does he have quite bare feet (i.e. is it sore hocks or is it an actual cut?)

How sharp is your hay? I got some really nasty stuff as a gift once and sooty nearly poked his eye out with it, it was very hard and sharp....I cam back to find he had impaled himself

Is there any possibility that even though you haven't seen them for a while, mice could be getting in and nipping him?

Hi Thank you :O)
Where the latest cut is It's quite fluffy so I'm not sure how it happened but possible with the other two as there is one on each foot in the same place.

I have just go off the phone with my vet. She said to bring him inside for a few days to let them all heal up completly and then see what happens.

I'm pretty sure there are no mice at the moment but that was my initial thought. So I've bought a couple of humane traps and I keep getting them I think In total I've had 10-12 that I then let go miles away. I know when they are around as they eat the grain that the rabbit doesn't eat in the bottom of his bowl and they leave the husks.

I'm going to try bringing him in for a few days. I hate seeing all that blood I dread going out there now just incase he has a bad one loses too much blood or I can't stop it and it's night time.

I might get him neutered. Do you think that might stop him thumping? It doesn't really bother me and he only does it to warn off passers by ;o)

sounds like the fur has worn away and he has sore hocks... i would wrap a baby sock and a small bandage around the foot to stop infections and give him a lot of thick soft hay as bedding....see how this goes fora week or so and let him onto grass but not the patio...if you see an improvement it could be sore hocks ...raven rexes has a good cream she mentioned ages back which really helps with this problem if that is what it is.

Hey thanks for the reply.
I'm going to bring him inside for a few days and hope this helps. I did try to bandage his foot once but I was so afraid of it being too tight I did it to loose and it kept falling of.
Anyway the hutch is really clean and have used bunny disinfectant on it. All looked well this morning.
Where would I find the cream you mentioned? Is it for open wounds/sores?
I could move the hutch onto the grass but how would I stop him digging out?

Please help! Any advice welcome- Update

I've just been home and there is no sight of any blood and Midnight seems to be really happy.
The vet and the rspca advised me to put more hay in the bottom of his hutch so that if he were to thump it would do less damage. I'll try anything and if that doesn't work then I'll bring him indoors for a few days.

It sounds lik ehe might well have recurring sore hocks.

I would suggest using vetbed or carefresh (something soft and quite 'quillted') over all the flooring indoors or outdoors and bathe the sores in a mild antibacterial solution and dry thoroughly. some people use a cold compress too to help them heal.

There are a few members on here with more experience with sore hocks who may be able to help you though :D

http://www.galensgarden.co.uk/herbivores/health/pododermatitis.php

http://www.rabbitnetwork.org/articles/sorehocks.shtml

Please help! Any advice welcome- Update

Just a quick update. I've found no blood in the hutch for the last 2 days now which is great and Midnight seems to be really happy.
I've also noticed that since this started I have spent more & more time with him and he is now the most friendly bunny ever. He even comes over of his own accord and stays whilst I stroke him.

Thanks for all your advise x

p.s This site is fantastic! :D

Back