• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

how well do groups work?

bunlover

Warren Veteran
wondering if people have found groups work better than pairs or if a pair is best, possibly thinking in future (not till my train drivers course finished at earliest) if it would be best to leave dora and snowy as a happy bonded pair or try and get 2 males and bond to make a group so they could each have a boyfreind? would this work? or is it a daft idea? also if i did ever go ahead do you think they need to be the same size? (dora and snowy are nethies)

Personally I am not a fan of housing Rabbits together in large groups. I dont feel confident that I could adequately monitor everyBuns health and I am also concerned that there would always be a certain amount of bullying to maintain the heirarchy. Also, if you have a bonded pair and you introduce more Buns the initial bonded pairs relationship may breakdown.

If you were thinking of adopting two more Buns perhaps an established bonded pair might be a good idea. I know many folk on here have large groups of Rabbits and I am sure they will give you good advice should you still want to introduce more Buns to your two. Its just my personal opinion that I dont agree with keeping large groups of Buns together

Good luck with whatever you decide

Janex :)

Personally I am not a fan of housing Rabbits together in large groups. I dont feel confident that I could adequately monitor everyBuns health and I am also concerned that there would always be a certain amount of bullying to maintain the heirarchy. Also, if you have a bonded pair and you introduce more Buns the initial bonded pairs relationship may breakdown.

If you were thinking of adopting two more Buns perhaps an established bonded pair might be a good idea. I know many folk on here have large groups of Rabbits and I am sure they will give you good advice should you still want to introduce more Buns to your two. Its just my personal opinion that I dont agree with keeping large groups of Buns together

Good luck with whatever you decide

Janex :)

thanks for the advice i think then it is best to stick with my 2 as they are happy together i just wondered seeing all the groups on here if it would be nicer for them, i think you are right about monitoring them better in smaller amounts too, i would honestly have to get my oh to agree first anyhow but i started to wonder... think its best to leave them happy as they are also if it didnt work out i dont think i have space to keep another pair seperatly permenantly.without reducing what snowy and dora have already. cheers for advice.

Although I have a group of bonded buns I don't disagree with Jane. Having a group is completely different to haing a pair not only in the way they relate to each other but also in the way they relate to you. I had two house buns and they spent hours cuddled up to each other asleep and went everywhere together but the group are different, they don't seem to have the same closeness and Jane is right, they do argue amongst themselves about who is boss sometimes, particularly the girls, whereas with my pair there was always the agreed thing that Max was the boss and he looked after Shayla.

I think a group of four can work really well as long as you have the right buns together, same as a pairing really just with the additional hurdle of bonding same sex buns and each bun having to like three others rather than just one! :D

We have tried putting all of ours together a few times and each time we have separated out again as they seemed happier before. The most we have had together happily has been 5 buns. Currently we have two groups of 4, a pair and a single house bun. I agree that 4 works well and all the buns can be happy and close with this number. Not just any 4 buns though, we let ours chose each other! The pair wanted to be a pair and Jaynie wanted no other bun but me!:oops:

On a monitoring health issue bonded groups can present a problem, unless the sizes are very different it can be hard to say whether a bun is eating and pooing the correct amount etc and giving meds has to be done separately.

Maria x

thankyou very much for all your honest answers. i think i will leave it for a while as they seem happy.

I have a group of four, two boys two girls and a group of three, two girls one boy (use to be a four, but I lost Marley, boy). I wouldn't say I notice illnesses any less but I do spend quite a bit of time with my buns and know their individual personalities, I personally like my groups.

Back