• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

help on my does

d_animality

Young Bun
hi.. i just bought a new female rabbit.. it is small maybe the age was about 1 or 2 months... i actually separate it from the buck.. its in a cage divided into two.. however for the first time she managed to slip in and enter the male cage... this is on the next day i realise they were both together... and then i have to strict in the divider and now they cannot be together anymore..

however, after few days (i think its about a week later).... i can see theres some blood under the female cage...i dont know what, why and where it comes from... im afraid that my rabbit gets pregnant.. bcause she is still small...and when i lift her i can feel the tummy a bit round... hope im mistaken... because i give enough food and i dont think she easily gets fat with that in a week or so...what do u think? its okay if she gives birth safely.. but im concerning more about her safety (its okay if the give birth didnt go well as long as she is safe)... i dont know what to do next... here in my country theres lack of veterinary care.. hope i am wrong and ask for ur guidance and recommendation...

hope to get your reply soon..

Regards,
Animality

uhh they shouldn't even be weaned until at least 2months she couldn't get pregnant until at least 4 months and even then it would be hard for her to conceive as for the blood please try to get her to a vet unless you want to risk her health and life you really should have waited until they were at least 2months old I hope all goes well

Are you sure it is blood and not just really dark orange / reddish wee. This could be caused by too many carrots or stress.

well i really hope ure right there AllForTheAnimals as that she couldnt get pregnant at her curent age..well for Amy104... the liquids colour was dark orange (kinda reddish, and its everywhere)... its not from carrots as i dont give carrots as their food,well i figured it out that the red liquids came from her female part..what u guys think? anyway thanx for ur reply.. ;)

well i really hope ure right there AllForTheAnimals as that she couldnt get pregnant at her curent age..well for Amy104... the liquids colour was dark orange (kinda reddish, and its everywhere)... its not from carrots as i dont give carrots as their food,well i figured it out that the red liquids came from her female part..what u guys think? anyway thanx for ur reply.. ;)

it could be a womb infection tho unusual in buns so young.... also it could be that the male has tried to penetrate her and has ripped the skin there. she could be pregnant i think as at 8 weeks they can be weaned and its usually later they develop but she could be early.the hard tummy could be bloat but if it is this needs to be looked att by a vet as is very serious...try gentle tummy massaeg. red/orange wee can be caused by many things such as high protien diet, cystitus(sp?) and carrots or red pigmented food. ie rose leaves are high protein and could give orange coloured wee but are not obvious as the colour is not orange its green. be extra careful as you do not want her to be ill tho.

its hard to find a good vet here bunlover as there are very few available and bcause of that, the charge may be expensive, she doesnt look ill as shes active in running and etc, i gave her spinach once a day (in the morning).. i really hope shes not pregnant as im afraid she cannot cope with that at her early age.. thanx for ur concerns ;)

EDIT:well just now ive figured it out that the orange-reddish liquid came when she's peeing... so what is this mean? does not relate to any pregnancy (hopefully)

Last edited:
If it is just discoloured wee then it could be cause by a number of of things. The most common being something they've eaten. Even some greens have a pigment in them which causes this. Do you feed spinach daily, only I believe it is high in something which can upset buns but not sure what it is.

If it is just discoloured wee then it could be cause by a number of of things. The most common being something they've eaten. Even some greens have a pigment in them which causes this. Do you feed spinach daily, only I believe it is high in something which can upset buns but not sure what it is.

well yeah... i feed spinach daily every morning.. is that the cause? so are u saying it is bad to feed them spinach? if thats so ill stop feeding them spinach

They can have it as a treat - its not posionous but I think it is high in something. Someone may be able to confirm what as I can't remember.
I think it may be iron. Not sure what affect this has if feed in excess.

Its also def high in calcium so you should go careful, but this wouldn't account for the red.

Last edited:
most likely she won't get preg. but it is possible most likely some kind of food is causing the red colored urine as one of my kits that I sold to a friend had red urine and she found out that it was from the spray mineral supplements she gave them those are usually a no-no could you put your feeding list on here and maybe I could tell you what it is

Spinach is high in Beta Carotene - same as carrots.

I think this is what makes it gor orange/red.

AllForTheAnimals - Glad to hear that shes not pregnant...hopefully ure right..

Amy104 - okay.. thanx for ur finding there... it really helps finding the solution...

Appreciate all helps and recommendations from all... thanx :D

Back