• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

eating cardboard

Cyberdog

Warren Scout
Hi,:wave:
My rabbits are eating the cardboard box that i gave them to play with. Is it ok for them to eat cardboard.

hi, our buns have cardboard boxes to play with...and they take great fun in ripping them up! ours generally just rip but if they do get carried away and start eating too much of it i will remove the box for 10 mins or so.just so they get the message that eating them isnt the idea! we also remove any boxes when we are not watching them, just to be safe as cardboard could block up their tummy and give them gi stasis etc...
kellie

I don't know if you know you can get 'rabbit friendly' cardboard toys for them, in case they insist on eating the cardboard. You can get 'Chubes', (brand name but others do similar), if they eat the paper/cardboard from these it is designed to break down safely in the gut.

Mine love ripping cardboard boxes too and it is a worry.

hi, our buns have cardboard boxes to play with...and they take great fun in ripping them up! ours generally just rip but if they do get carried away and start eating too much of it i will remove the box for 10 mins or so.just so they get the message that eating them isnt the idea! we also remove any boxes when we are not watching them, just to be safe as cardboard could block up their tummy and give them gi stasis etc...
kellie

Hi,
I am so pleased that it is not just mine that are mad then. I will have to try taking it off them for a short time like you do, and see if that helps.

At this exact moment they are spending more time chasing each other around the run to be bothered with boxes (an age thing).
Thanks so much.;)

I don't know if you know you can get 'rabbit friendly' cardboard toys for them, in case they insist on eating the cardboard. You can get 'Chubes', (brand name but others do similar), if they eat the paper/cardboard from these it is designed to break down safely in the gut.

Mine love ripping cardboard boxes too and it is a worry.

Hi,
I didn’t know about Chubes. I have had a look at them and the look good, however the price of a jumbo one is a bit expensive (£4.99). Their again it would depend on how long it lasted really.:wave:

Back