• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Question on E.C?

*fluffybunny*

Warren Scout
Hi Everyone,

Just a quick question, my bunny buster (6) has always lived alone as she has E.Cunicculi and has survived a very long time with it (she has regular panacur), even though she was very poorly with it (head tilt etc.)
I really want to get her a friend as she seems lonely, she does have a teddy rabbit friend who she lives with in her cage and she is a house bunny and gets more attention than my hubby lol!!
But the vet is saying she will be carrying E.C and must not come into contact with another bun as she'll pass it on, I did have another bun who lived separately from buster but she died recently and i wanted to get another bun, but it seems pointless if the two can't atleast play together if not live together. Any advice?

You could adopt an EC positive rabbit from a rescue center, he would need a titre test running to check this if it was unconfirmed though.

So many rabbits test positibe for EC that I am sure the perfect partner is out there for her, if you feel able to take on another EC rabbit.

about 50% of rabbits are supposed to have EC but only a small proportion go on to develop symptoms. You could try a rescue center who may either have a bunny with active EC or suspected EC or have got bunnies who have been exposed to it. If you discuss the EC with a rescue center they should be able to tell you upfront if they can do anything for you.

I've PM'd chloaster who is in West Midlands to see if she has any.

Last edited:
Hi

nearly all my buns have tested positive for EC at one point or another - and one is now 9 years old - others 8 or so - and all healthy now (thugh some had head tilt).

Seriously i would go ahead and adopt from a rescue - they will proabbly have some EC bun s anyway - or suspected.

If you give the Panacur dose to both buns twice a year they are getting better treatment than many who have it but no-one knows!

Thanks for your replies. Busters had this for 5 years but when she first got Ill she was very poory, not eating, wetting herself, falling over, shaking her ears and passing blood. When she tested positive for E.C the vet wanted to put her down, but i said no. I saw another vet (the one i now see whos lovely) and she put her on baytril and panacur. Shes much better now but drinks from a water bowel and will only eat a fruity mix, If i try to get her to eat a pellet mix she stops eating. Its such a shame and shes need so much love as she gets very confused but i love her so much and i feel shes lonely.
The vet said she's the only case of a bunny with severe E.C thats survived so long, she also had uterine cancer recently and she came through that!
The worry about taking another E.C bunny is if it keeps getting sick as its hard work and can be very upsetting.
If the new bunny had E.C but it was controlled with panacur then i would consider it. My vet thinks as buster has survived so long she could be an E.C carrier and could pass it to another bun, if I gave a healthy bun regular panacur do you think it'd be OK?

if I gave a healthy bun regular panacur do you think it'd be OK?

Not in the respect that they would not contract it because unless you knew what stage of the spore cycle your bunny was at (if her infection was active) and could administer the dose at the time the spores were shedding there would be no way of being sure the new rabbit was protected. I doubt is even possible to ascertain this in an ongoing infection as all you could do was titre test for antibody activity rather than spore counts.

The healthy rabbit, provided they were not immunocompromised, would have a good chance of remaining asymptomatic carrier but that is in no way guaranteed.

Last edited:
Thank you for your help hun, i'm so confused I just don't know what to do for the best :( Buster has lived alone all her life, though we did have another house rabbit that lived another room, we couldn't put them together cause of the E.C and cause the other bun was very territorial and had to be a single bun, so as bust has always lived alone she might not like another bun anyway? but the way she cuddles me and her teddy friend shes so very loving.

Back